Stix & Stones???

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by krazeepolack, Sep 21, 2010.

1. krazeepolack

krazeepolack Chillin' With My Peeps

When I went to check my chick feeders this morning, I found several stones, (a handfull, actually) almost up to golf ball size in the feeder, along with a few stix, as long as 7 inches!! My feeders, indoor & out, are elevated almost a foot high, w/steps to get to the edge of the feeder, keeping most all debris below feeder level. No 6 week old chick is going to carry a golf ball sized stone into these feeders. They couldn't open their beaks enough to do this. I live alone, so no one else could have done it. Their outdoor "run" has stones & a couple stix laying around, but the inside is layed out w/about 4 inches of fresh wood chip. Anyone out there have any answers to my puzzlement??

2. FlipFlopFarmer

FlipFlopFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

could they have kicked them in there? when mine lay down to "dust" themselves, it looks like you turned on a leaf blower, they throw stuff 20 feet from where they are digging and fluffing.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    sounds logical about the dust bath, either that or you have a duck and don't know it! lol

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Do you have kids that could have done it? My children love to carry rocks and sticks around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by