stoat/weasel

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Johnn, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    a stoat or weasel viciously took down my big light sussex miley and crueley ripped her little head off and ate it with plesure, last week. So i have started locking my hens up for the night as i think they have decided to come because there is less rabbitts about, do you think it would be safe to leave there pop hole open in spring when there is loads of rabbitts, i did want a trap but my uncle and mam say that it was just a one off, but im not thick.

2. mrpekinduck

mrpekinduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Ducky Land!
    NO!!! Don't leave the pop hole open! They say that weasels only take chickens when there aren't any mice. NOT TRUE! They will take whatever is easiest to catch. A weasel can fit through any hole bigger than 1" in diameter.

3. ozark_chickies

ozark_chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    No it will not be safe to leave the pop hole open in the spring. You will be just playing the odds, that nothing will get in. In the spring many predators will have young to feed, and will be looking for easy meals. A sleeping chicken is easy to take. Much easier than chasing down a rabbit. When something finds a free chicken dinner it will be back.

4. Johnn

Sep 5, 2011
    oh ive actually just thaught about what i posted my hen was killed through the day so it wont really make a difference :S

5. ozark_chickies

ozark_chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    Don't chance it. Predators do come out in the day, but are more active at night. Good luck in what you decide to do.

6. Johnn

Sep 5, 2011
    i was considering getting one of them night eye things?

7. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    If you are certain it is a weasel, don't leave any potential entry to coop unprotected. Google: weasel box. Pretty trivial to construct (have someone with good hands set the rat trap and make sure to tie bloody bait to treadle). In a pinch a big shoebox and some duct tape will do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by