stock from Breeders

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by seedcorn, Feb 12, 2008.

1. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    Been looking for partridge wyandotte bantams. A breeder kindly got back to me. $120/trio, $45/hen, $50/cock. Is this normal? For bantams to run in yard, this is out of my league.

Talk of sticker shock, I'm used to paying $5-$10/chicken.

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Sounds too high to me.

3. red_raider_64

red_raider_64 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2007
    Stephenville Texas
    It all depends on the quality off the birds.. if you want them to run around the yard than I am sure you can find WAY cheaper birds than that..

4. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    are they show birds??? There are 2 auctions on ebay right now for hatching eggs. Might want to consider hatching your own.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2008
  5. seedcorn

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    I have no luck w/shipped eggs. I only buy chicks or adults.

Problem is only one hatchery have them MM hatchery and I don't want 25 of them.

6. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    That is wayyy to much. How many starred wins does this breeder have? Are they a master exhibitor? I wouldnt pay that much for a bird unless they come from the nations best. Does Ideal have them? They have a minimum dollar amount. I know of a dark brahma breeder that charges $100 for a rooster simply because he doesnt want other people having his stock, but some people will pay that much. Its really up to you, I presonally wouldnt spend that much unless I was serious about that variety.

7. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
  8. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    I was just going to post that link. It seems that the seller has partridge wyandottes on there all the time, they dont look half bad, if you just want them for backyard birds, they are great.

9. seedcorn

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    tdhe price is more than fair, it's the shipping/box that makes them to expensive to run in yard. I'm not really into selling eggs or chicks. I'd rather give them away to 4H kids.

10. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    I think it just depends on the quality of the birds. I have paid $90.00 for one hen (that included shipping). Personally I do not think it is to high if they are excellent quality. I think you just have to figure out what your personal goals are for keeping chickens and the quality of birds you want to have. I do not show nor do I breed but I want the very best examples of the breeds I like. I just paid $108.00 for six bantam chicks from a breeder, STRAIGHT RUN, and I will only keep one. So like I said it is just up to you how far you want to go. I agree the costs of shipping are the pain! I would say if the birds are that good go for it.

Good Luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by