Stock market report

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by curliet, Jun 19, 2008.

1. curliet

curliet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    west Michigan
    Sorry if this isn't in the right forum, wasn't sure just where to put it.
    Last night my DH was watching the nightly news, and during the stock market report the 2 commentators were talking about the sudden decline in the stock for the Tyson Company. One said to the other "What's going on, are these people raising chickens in their backyards???" And the other guy answered, "Yes, I believe they are!!!" Rick had hollered to me to come in and I heard and saw the tail end of this, the guys had very incredulous looks on their faces, [​IMG] and Rick was roaring with laughter. Looks like 'they' are on to us.

2. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Your post made me add Tyson to my watch list. It would be nice if our chickens
    had something to do with it but it appears grain costs and bad management are
    the culprits here. Now I gotta go check Perdue.

Good post.

3. Just-Like-Hatching

Just-Like-Hatching Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Dothan, AL
    Avian flue in Arkansas at a Tyson farm might be the reason.

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    How did Tyson chicken in Arkansas get the Avian flu to begin with?????????? I hope its all hype about the Avian flu

5. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* They have a flock that tested positive for ANTIBODIES to a fairly common A/F strain. It's NOT the ultra-dangerous one. Actually, antibodies are a good thing and I was wondering where Big T gets their chicks.

6. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Quote:With the price of fuel we may have to go back to the days when everyone raised their own food and just about all you went to the store for was a sack of flour and sugar.

7. Eggseronious

Eggseronious Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Tysons have had a gravy train for years, cheap corn made them millions but those days are over. High priced grain has put them in red ink.....[​IMG]

8. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    i think it had something to do with they advertised their chicken was drug free and actually they treat their chickens with low dose of antibiotics.

got in trouble for false labeling..

I know I have several stocks from that company bought when the mad cow disease was scaring people and got in pretty cheap and have watched it grow and now??

did not drop much and will probably go back up if not I might sell.....

9. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I was reading how the price of pork bellies (used to make bacon) plumetted after the salmonella scare with tomatoes. Apparently BLT's do make a difference to our economy. Anyone else left thinking that our food system is a little too centralized?

10. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* The drop is probably due to the gov't being there, poking around into T'S ops since the positive test. The market doesn't like that for numerous reasons. It slows operations, who knows what they'll find to snag onto, the possibilities of fines, lawsuits, court battles, costly fixes, etc., etc., etc.. . . .Remember IBM (monster lawsuit) in the early 198O's??? Wish I'd had a few grand to drop on them when they were on the mat!!! I was chomping at the bit to buy in. Bad news is often good news in the market. Makes a stock affordable for a time, and a gold mine if they get out of the mess with their act cleaned up. . . .

Last edited: Jun 19, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by