1. blucoondawg

blucoondawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    So I am sure this question has been asked before but here it goes, I just got a pressure cooker (20qt) for use in canning and soups mainly. I wanted to use to to cook up some stock. I have a few dual purpose roosters I butchered this fall I am planning on using them whole or cut in half or whatever but the whole raw bird. My question is how long does it have to cook, at what pressure setting (I am at about 1500ft in Northern Wisconsin), and with that cook time in the pressure cooker will the meat still be ok for soups and casseroles and sandwiches or will it be cooked to mush? Also how much water would you start out with for one whole DP bird?

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    We cook chicken soup all the time. Skip the pressure cooker altogether and her is why. When you cook chicken , in the beginning you get this mung that floats up to the surface,. We remove it with a spoon as it forms. After a while , no more mung. Then we add our vegs , and continue slow cook for about 2 hours at low heat. The result is a clear soup, and I can taste it already. If you go the pressure route, then you will have those lil turds floating around in your finished product, and most likely your broth will be cloudy. As to taste I don't know.. ?????? you try both ways and compare. One chicken to about 2 1/2 gal water is a good start. Remember that we add a lot of vegetables to make this fantastic soup. Chicken soup is sometimes referred to as Jewish penicillin. It cures more than hunger. Hope this helps. [​IMG]

3. blucoondawg

blucoondawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    I guess I don't see how you can make a good chicken stock in 2 hours without a pressure cooker. I have made it before in a slow cooker and cooked it overnight and then some, how is it you get all the flavor or of the bird n that amount of time?
    I guess I don't really care if the stock/broth is not perfectly clear, I strain out the chunks then run it through some cheese cloth to get much of the fine stuff then consider it good.

4. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Well , not sure what you want to make that stock for and how you will use it. I just know that if you came over my house, and I served you some of my concoction , you would say,,,,, " this $%^& is mity goot. " Experiment and you will become MASTER

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Last time we butchered it was 4 rooster. I pressure cooked them whole, one at a time, in maybe 3 cups water with seasonings and veggies. 40 min per bird. I did the rapid cooling and pulled the meat while the broth was still almost boiling. I then used the same broth for the next three birds. Cut down on time to bring the pressure up, and the same stock cooked three birds. Talk about RICH!! Cooled and strained and froze in ice cube trays. It's so concentrated, one or two cubes easily flavor a regular meal for us. The meat was perfectly cooked, not mushy at all. If you wanted, after cooling and pulling the meat you could stick the bones back in, but I'm not sure how long to cook them without dissolving.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by