Stocking a 55 gallon fish tank

NewHopePoultry

Crowing
12 Years
Apr 9, 2007
Troy,Missouri
In a few months (once our house is done) we will be setting up our 55 gallon fish tank again.
But Im not sure what I want to put in it.
Any suggestions?
I love color, so what to have colorful fish of a few types.
What would be good to put into the tank?

bagendhens

Songster
10 Years
Mar 29, 2009
Outside the Boundries
if you want lots of color, look into the peacock cichlids.
the males will fully color without the presence of a female (meaning you can do an all male tank to avoid agression issues) and of all the species of freshwater fish the peacocks actually equal the color of some of the salties...
plus cichlids are personality plus, mine play "chase" with the dog (he noses and paws at the glass and they chase his paws and visa versa...) theycome to the front when i walk into a room and follow my fingers, my largest male actually likes to be petted if i put my fingers in the tank hell swim around underneath, brushing against them and even "rolling over" for belly rubs, and food, forget it theyll eat out of my hands and swim to the surface as soon as they see the food container.
i love seeing them flash their fins and show off, and watching them pick up shells, sand and rocks and move them around the tank redecorating.

ive also found them to be easy keepers, good filtration and water and havent had any issues...and peacocks are some of the more delicate of the african cichlids.

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
13 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
Another vote for cichlids. The african cichlids are beautiful and they are the only fish I consider to have personalities.
ETA: Well I should also add that my two albino cory catfish have personality. That's why there are still alive after all our other fish got old and die. I was gonna flush them, but couldn't bring myself to do it.

Last edited:

pasofinofarm

NONESUCH FARM CONROE TX
13 Years
Mar 22, 2007
Near Houston, TX
We had a 120 gallon tank of peacock cichlids.. beautiful and very hardy and forgiving. Tropheus are also very beautiful and colorful but are delicate and not for beginners. We raised them for years and really enjoyed them.. they live in breeding groups and watching the life cycle is so much fun... well worth putting up with a few teritory fights for. The females are 'mouth brooders' and carry the eggs in their mouhts until the little fishes are ready to go out into the tank...very cool! We moved to a 1931 farm house and the floor is not on a slab so the tanks had to go... I miss them still.

Last edited:

taraann81

Songster
10 Years
Apr 9, 2009
Ontario
Button quail!!

27498_eggs_170.jpg

Okay, I like African cichlids too. But I also like peaceful community fish like neon tetras.....

ConchRepublic

Looking For My Marbles
10 Years
Jan 22, 2010
Dunnellon, Fl
Quote:
ep.gif
I found a use for my 30 long with snake lid! (wife HATES snakes)

I good amazon tank is extremely colorful, but pricy. It's a lot cheaper to set up a cichlid tank. If you can find a way to hook up a sump tank you could do saltwater, but that costs more than an amazon tank (the parts alone are in the hundreds, and the fish are not far behind)

Top Bottom