Stolen black swan, be on the lookout - Oregon/West Coast

Discussion in 'Ornamental Fowl (Swans, etc.)' started by paneubert, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Stolen black swan, be on the lookout - Oregon/West Coast

Cutting and pasting from Facebook. This is from Enchanted Farm Sanctuary in Oregon.

"I’m devastated to share that last night, just after 2:00am someone came onto my property & took Belladonna Winterspell!!! I was woken up by the dogs barking & donkeys braying & heard Belladonna honking as well. All the animals were frantic. I rushed outside just in time to catch a brief glimpse of a sedan of some sort peeling out of the driveway. My entrance gate is quite a distance from the house & I couldn’t see much. So I ran down to the gate... and that’s where I found a clump of feathers. I was in a panic searching for Bella until it hit me.. She was gone. I’m in shock. I didn’t even realize until speaking with several people today how “valuable” Black Swans are because I don’t think of animals in monetary terms like that. They apparently sell for thousands of dollars. So I can only assume that’s why someone took her. I know most of you are not from this area so I doubt this post will help much but I just don’t know what else to do... Aside, of course from filing a police report & spreading the word in case someone sees her for sale or knows where she is. If you have ANY information at all about Belladonna PLEASE contact me I just want her home!!! PLEASE!!!! #help#enchantedfarmsanctuary #blackswan Newberg, Oregon"

bantamsrmyfav and HuffleClaw like this.
  2. Amc29

Amc29 Songster

Feb 20, 2019
    SW Oregon
    A shorter version came across my facebook. I had no idea they actually saw the unfortunate incident on accident. I also didn't know black swans are THAT valuable. How terrible that people just steal people's animals like that. It is probably a long shot, but I do hope the perpetrator(s) is caught and that poor bird gets to go home.

HuffleClaw likes this.
  3. Helloworld

Helloworld Songster

Jul 17, 2018
    Down on the Suwannee River
    Im so sorry. That sucks

In Florida, we can get them for 300 a piece. We wanted them but wing clippings are needed to keep them home or caged. Hotels love them as ornaments then get upset because between 3-5 yrs they leave. Time for camera and a driveway alarm.

Trimurtisan and HuffleClaw like this.
  4. 007Sean

007Sean Pheasant Whisperer

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    That is too unfortunate. I have a friend that raises them...they go from $400 to $800 for juvenile birds and a 3 year old breeding pair from $1600 to $2000

Trimurtisan and HuffleClaw like this.
  5. ChristineR

ChristineR Songster

Jun 15, 2011
    WA state
    I'm in the Olympia area. I'll keep an eye out on Craigslist and Facebook. So sorry. People are jerks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: