Stolen egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Willie84, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Willie84

Willie84 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2016
    Australia
    Hey chicken people I have had an egg stolen. At lease I think so, the temperature has reached 35 degrees outside. And the nest was a mess it looked like an egg had exploded but there is no smell. The shell of the egg was in the run and empty. I only have one other chicken in the same area. And the eggs have been under my broody for less than 24 hours. Could the other chicken be stealing the egg? Is there a reason why only one egg has made a mess of the nest? Any help would be great

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Rats could be eating the eggs.

3. rebrascora

rebrascora Overrun With Chickens

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Rats could certainly be the culprit and if so, you need to get on top of the situation pronto because it's one thing having an egg stolen and another finding the remnants of a chick that has been eaten alive.
    Another possibility is that the egg had a weak shell and got broken in the nest. A broody hen will usually do her best to clean it up by eating as much of it as she can and sometimes other chickens will run off with the shell. You will need to clean up the other eggs as best as possible and replace the soiled nest material. That mess will harbour bacteria (and stink) if it is left as it is.

Good luck with your hatch.

Barbara

4. Willie84

Willie84 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2016
    Australia
    Thanks I have just seen a rat out on the fence. I can't see how or where they would get into the coop but I will check the nest tomorrow. I have cleaned up the mess and replace the bedding. Hopefully this was a one off. All I need now is a way to keep the rats away

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by