Stolen Eggs

ILuvsChicks

Songster
10 Years
May 17, 2013
Missouri
One of my chickens decided to make her nest on the floor of the coop. She had a big pile of them and then went Broody. I'm gone most of the week and my wife takes care of the chickens while I'm gone. After the hen had gone broody a couple of weeks my wife said something stinks in the coop. I looked and saw a broken egg by the broody hen. So one got busted. Didn't think much of it. Later the broody hen had got up to walk around a little and I noticed there where three broken eggs and no sign of the rest of them. I cleaned up the mess and put 15 fresh egg back in her nest from other nest. She continued to set on them. The next weekend I came home and checked. Five where missing. My run is completely enclosed with The first two feet up has 1/2 inch cloth and one foot turned out. Then one inch chicken wire. And Two inch wire for the roof. What would steal a whole egg like that out from under the hen. About one a day. Would that be a snake? None of the eggs in the nesting boxes have disappeared. The boxes are about two feet off the floor.

Thats what I though the first time. My little Polish rooster was pecking at her. I figured he was forcing her to move then he would eat an egg. Maybe he did eat some of them. So I separated him. But this second time there was no mess on the floor. If the egg was eaten on the spot there should be some gue on the floor. There was the first time. But not the second time.

Could be a snake. If you have some plastic easter eggs, you could place them under the hen (fill them with sand so they have the weight of a real egg). After she has sat on them they will smell like chicken. If it disappears without a trace, then a snake got in. If it is your rooster eating them, he won't be able to make that plastic egg disappear.

Just know if it is a snake you will probably kill it with the plastic egg. Those things are hard to pass
ep.gif

Back
Top Bottom