Stolen perp is human

ChickieKeeta

C'mon C'mere Fluffa Feathers
14 Years
Feb 16, 2009
Cumberland County NJ
I checked on my chickens 5:30 PM yesterday. (Thurs 10/29) All was well.
6:30 this morning I drove my car into my yard to use the headlights to give fresh water
& food for chicks. Missing is a large dog house with heavy plastic flaps in the door to keep wind out. Inside the house a stainless steel shelf holding a brand new heat lamp with a new 250 watt bulb. One food dish. 1 chicken waterer in the pen.. 3 barred rock babies & my 1 and only true ameraucana.

There are 2 adjoining pens I use til the chicks are big enough to move into the coop.
My araucana in the other pen.

I reported it to the state police. We have no local police here. I moved my 3 rumpless araucana into a iron parrot cage & put that in the chicken coop. I put their "dog" house
inside the chicken run. I put several zip ties on the gate. Hoping to slow or discourage
theft of anything inside. I will get a padlock tomorrow.

This is the missing house.
23079_img_1865.jpg

This is the 2 pens connected together.
23079_img_2568.jpg

my 3 araucana
23079_img_2515.jpg

here you can see 1 of the barred rocks in the adjoining pen.
23079_img_2542.jpg

The dog houses are at the back of each pen. Covered with tarp in the photo.
I am so disgusted. Why would anyone steal a doghouse & those contents?

I am sick hearing that somebody stole live innocent defenseless beings. Dread to think what they have done with them. Pray nothing nefarious. I would stalk your yard from here forward to make sure they don't come back to take or harm anyone else. Your setup is vulnerable to other preds as well. I hope you, the police, or someone can find the thief quickly. Has to be someone who knows your yard well, I would think.
JJ

Why not get either a real or a fake surveillance camera (the ones with the glowing red light are perfect), put it INSIDE one of your windows, but visible from the coop. Then post a sign on the coop saying, "Smile. You're on Candid Camera. Yeah. You."
I hope the rest of your babies will be safe.

Thank you for the support & suggestions. My coop run is padlocked. The temp. pens are behind the house. I am hoping to be able to integrate the araucana with the flock.
I don't want them stuck in the parrot cage. They need to move around & scratch for goodies.

Several weeks ago 2 pre teen boys were riding by on bicycles. They saw me in the yard & asked how many roosters I had. One. They asked why the black chicken was in a pen by itself. That was the roo with a deformed foot. The flock picked on him. I gave him away. I don't know if they had anything to do with this. The next time I see them I will follow them hopefully to their house. Saw a dog house like mine down the street this morning. Called police. They checked it out. Not mine.

I know my pens aren't fort knox. But until the human pests/predators I had no problems.

It sucks. A dog would stop it no doubt, but may raise issues with neighbors if it is a noisy one barking at everything it hears.

It sucks. A dog would stop it no doubt, but may raise issues with neighbors if it is a noisy one barking at everything it hears.

Just an afterthought, but since Halloween is upon us, may be for some sick kind of joke or worse. May never be repeated if so. They might for instance leave birds in someone's car overnight in the very best of cases. I would not speculate on anything worse.

Back
Top Bottom