stomping

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by henhousechick, Jul 12, 2011.

1. henhousechick

henhousechick New Egg

Jul 12, 2011
    Hello, is it really mites that cause my chickens to stomp while roosting - I sat there in the evening and was amazed listening to this rhythmic beat from these chickens in one area of the henhouse, then it started in the other part of the house. Some always thumped twice in a row, and at least five thumped always in the same order. None of them thumped at the same time, only one at a time. Within ten minutes all 40 chickens were keeping the beat! This went on for at least 30 minutes, then they all just stopped. I've had chickens for five years and I've never experienced this - very cool.

2. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Hello and [​IMG]

3. Leia's Chickens

Leia's Chickens A Sunkissed Delight

Jun 20, 2010
    Oklahoma!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Jerseycoop

Jerseycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    Interesting question..if not then your chickens should start a band! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC. I've never heard of chickens stomping while roosting. I suggest you go out there after dark with your flashlight and check for mites crawling on your roosts and chickens. They can cause anemia and eventual death to your chickens. You'll need to treat your chickens and their house if they have them. You can post in the emergency section...you'll get plenty of help there.

6. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

7. broodytood

broodytood Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2011
    Swampville, Wa!
    Quote:Food grade DE will take care of the mites! [​IMG]

8. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    I got a powder the other day at TSC. dusted my little girls and it took care of the itchy little mites red and wht,

welcome from SC [​IMG]

Pink

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG], and yes, red mites coming out of the crevices to feed at night can cause your chickens to stomp while on the roost. We used to treat the roosts, cracks and crevices, and floor/wall junctures with old crankcase oil. Modern miticides would be more effective and far less messy. [​IMG]

10. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    [​IMG]. Hope you get it all straightened out!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by