1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Stone Cold Incubator - Help Please

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SueNH, May 5, 2009.

1. SueNH

SueNH Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2007
    I came home from work yesterday and went to turn my duck eggs only to find the incubator stone cold. Total Bummer!

I have 4 broody turkeys so I slipped the eggs under the ladies in hopes of salvaging something. No idea how long the bator had been out. I was running a little late for work and forgot to turn the eggs in the morning.

I want to fix the thing. No idea where I start. It's a hovabator genesis with a preset thermostat and fan.

The indicator light isn't on. The fan is running.

New Thermostat?

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

new thermostat, or heating element. Either or...

3. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    How old is the incubator??

4. SueNH

Feb 24, 2007
    It's 4 or 5 years old. Old enough where I was bummed out that it quit but not totally surprised. It runs pretty constant spring and summer.

5. SueNH

Feb 24, 2007
    I really know nothing about the parts, kind of confused. I see nothing listed on the gqf site for thermostats for this thing. At least nothing that is the same for table top models. They do have a similar thermostat listed for the cabinet models but at the price it would be just as easy to buy a new incubator and get it over with.

What am I looking at?

6. DANNY

DANNY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    GAINESVILLE, GEORGIA
    Cutlers Supply is where i get my parts and stuff.

7. SueNH

Feb 24, 2007
  8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    The heating element and thermostat for a genesis has to be ordered by phone from GQF. Don't faint when they quote you $102 for that little yellow box.

9. SueNH

Feb 24, 2007
    Thank you Miss Prissy. You just cleared up my confusion. I wasn't quite believing the price I was seeing on the presets.

Could I put an old fashioned wafer style in there? If not I may as well start begging hubby now for a whole new bator.

Cutler supply has GQF's prices beat by a little for the preset but it's still 75 dollars plus shipping.

If any of those eggs are alive they won't last for long. Timing isn't right with the turkey eggs. The ladies had all been sitting for a bit. Buys me a week and thats all.

I may beg for the new one and fix the other later myself. Gives me a hatcher or another for something I couldn't resist.

Still I'm bummed about the duck eggs. I lost all my ducks to a mink and was missing their antics terribly. They are also an important part of the mosquito control commission here. Mr Mink is now probably part of a coat in Manhattan so I was psyched to get quakers going again.

10. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    You need the heating element AND the thermostat. The 1588 is an all in one combo item.

A wafer therm doesn't produce heat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by