STOP BROODIES

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by thechickman04, May 28, 2008.

1. thechickman04

thechickman04 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Cumming, Georgia
    i have 5 hens that went broody..i sell my eggs and i need all the eggs i can get to keep my customers happy...how can i stop these hens from being broody?

2. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    All I can say is......have fun. [​IMG]

Or you could put a secret hatch in the box where the eggs roll out onto a tray. Worth a try.

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2008
  3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] I want to see the answers.....

I had one broody and she hatched out two little fluffy things.... then another one seemed to go broody - she sat on a nest all day and over night - but the next day when I opened up the run at lunch time - she SHOT out with all her buddies to dig in the dirt.. dunno what her problem is, but I need to know what to DO with her... I don't want any more fluffy things for a while! [​IMG]

4. Pinenot

Pinenot Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2007
    To stop a broody hen, you need to get her belly cooled off. I place mine in a rabbit cage 2x2 wire cage and hang it so that there is air in all directions. A week of that and she won't be broody any longer. The only problem is when she goes to laying good again, she may go broody again. That is how we do it and it works for us.

5. thechickman04

Feb 22, 2008
    Cumming, Georgia
    thanks pinenot i will try it...they are not sitting on any eggs..i take them from them

6. Pinenot

Pinenot Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2007
    They will still need their bellies cooled off. I have a silkie that sits even in her food bowl.

7. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    If you keep your chickens at a high production year round (so with the use of lighting in the winter) this overtaxes their system and is a factor in their need to "take a break" by going broody. Unless you have one of the genetically modern high producing breeds, allowing your birds periods of rest when they indicate they need it (i.e. they stop laying) will go a long way to keeping them happy and avoiding reproduction problems.

Last edited: May 29, 2008
  8. okiehen

okiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    More than likely even if you do get the hens broke up , your eggs will not come for sometime. The hens will probably go into molt then when that's over the eggs will return.
    You can put ice under them.
    Best of luck.

9. thechickman04

Feb 22, 2008
    Cumming, Georgia
    the chickens are only about 7 months old so i doubt they will molt yet

10. Red

Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2007
    Our broodies stop laying eggs for a good five or six weeks, sometimes longer depending on whether they hatch out any chicks or not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by