Stop pecking at my (*&&^* legs!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mrsmaonaigh, Oct 26, 2010.

1. mrsmaonaigh

mrsmaonaigh Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    SE Georgia
    My tiny little EE girl who is at the lowest position of the flock CONSTANTLY wants to peck at my feet and legs while I'm walking. When I walk through the yard the flock follows me like puppies. Well she will run up take a couple of swipes at my feet and then drop back. Then she will fly at the back of my legs. I don't think she is trying to hurt me because she has always been pretty mild mannered and knows that I bring her the good stuff to eat. But she has earned herself a couple of swipes from my foot. Maybe she thinks my shoes are food or something. No clue but its getting old.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  2. curliet

curliet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    west Michigan
    I had a young roo who did that all the time. I thought "Oh no, he's gonna turn out to be a meanie!" One day instead of swiping him away with my foot, I picked him up to give him a talking to. Imagine my surprise when he cuddled right into my arms. He jsut wanted to be held and carried around.

3. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:years ago my father in law had a roo that would peck at him and "charge" him. One day he picked him up to stick him in his cage and that roo did the same thing youre talking about..snuggled right down! After that you'd always see my father in law with that silly bird tucked up under his arm or sitting on his lap or shoulder ...[​IMG]

Maybe you should give your girl a BIG hug !

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  4. MOChickenz

MOChickenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Missouri
    I just walked out of the coop. My little chicks peck at my toes every time I walk in there. The big ones are not as 'friendly'

5. mrsmaonaigh

Sep 2, 2010
    SE Georgia
    I would love to cuddle her but she is so quick. I call her roadrunner because that is what she reminds me of. So maybe she just needs some love since all of the other big girls pick at her?

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Are you sure "she" is not a cockerel?[​IMG]

7. mrsmaonaigh

Sep 2, 2010
    SE Georgia
    She is definitely a she. She has been laying for about a month and a half now.

8. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    I have this problem, mine would come after my toenail polish lol.... i took to wearing high rain boots when i go in the coop! Now we all have an extra set of rain boots in the garager for the coop! Coop boots we call them !

9. tamtam84

tamtam84 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    SE Missouri
    Quote:Mine do this too! And they also bite my fingers when I have nail polish on them! Guess they think it's food or something, haha. I bought some tall rubber boots that I wear in the coop, too!

10. PetRock

PetRock Overrun With Chickens

Apr 28, 2010
    SF Bay Area, CA
    We wave a BR who pecks at my legs when she thinks that I have treats. I usually keep some BOSS in my right pocket and she knows when I have it. If I sit down in a chair to watch chicken TV, she is right there looking for treats. If I throw some out for the rest of the girls, she waits by me until I feed her some in my hand. And if I'm not fast enough or run out of treats, she pecks me on the leg to let me know she wants more. I've been pushing her away when she does that so now she has started flying up on the back of the chair and chirping in my ear. She's a girl who knows what she wants and how to get it! We also have a rope hammock that we can recline in and watch the chickens. Memly has taught some of the other chickens to peck us on the backside when we are in the hammock and they want more treats. Gotta keep the hammock moving to avoid the pecks! It's chicken reality TV! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by