Stop Rooster Crowing

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by tdgill, May 16, 2009.

1. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

I have been so far successful at getting my roosters to "sleep in" -till 8 am or so. I have been leaving the coop light on for a couple hours till we go to bed ourselves. For the last two nights I forgot to leave the light on tho and around 5:30am I am rushing outa bed and to the coop with some wet mash (yum) and scatter a bit of scratch to quiet them down. I turn on the florescent lighting also. It works. For now. Tonite tho, I am gonna leave the light on till 10pm and see if I can get back to our previous schedule. Hope so. Probably this is all just a quirk since my roos are still young. edited to say, they are about 4 months now. double edit - I just heard one crow. But I did get an extra hour of quiet. maybe I will go give them some grass...

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

LOL, if you`re gonna do all that, why not just let them crow. Is crowing such a problem for you that you have to run out there at all the wee hours to try and stop it?......Pop

3. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

If you keep rushing out there to give them treats every time they crow, it will not take them long to realize all they have to do is crow and they get food.....

If you have more than one rooster you will have more crowing. One rooster will crow and another will answer him, and one will answer him. I am sure you get my drift...

I have one rooster and he crows sporadically between 5 am 8 am, after that he is pretty quiet.

4. tdgill

well, its not such a problem SINCE I'M AWAKE ANYWAY NOW. hahahahahahahah.

I live in a development and am trying to keep things cool.

you know, I actually thought about that - wondering if I was gonna be "teaching" them to crow. lol

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  5. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Expecting a rooster to not crow is like telling the sun it cannot rise.
    Roosters do not crow because its morning, although it may seem it, but they crow for territory, making certain that other roosters know that they are the king of that throne.

6. kycklingar!

kycklingar! Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2009
    Linköping, Sweden
    I live on a densely packed city street... My solution was to put the roosters in the garage for the night, and to encourage lots of vegetation around the property. It's amazing what lots of tall plants can do to muffle sound!! My neighbors say they are NEVER woken up by the roos!

7. tdgill

oh I don't expect him NOT to crow. Should've posted topic title, DELAY rooster crowing. Not that its possible either.

8. tdgill

kycklingar! :

I live on a densely packed city street... My solution was to put the roosters in the garage for the night, and to encourage lots of vegetation around the property. It's amazing what lots of tall plants can do to muffle sound!! My neighbors say they are NEVER woken up by the roos!

really? hard to imagine that they're not awakened. Maybe the neighbors are early risers too? lol​

9. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    I don't think any one can stop him from crowing, but if like chicken soop, that will make it definitely quite. [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. RIRSNCHICKENJOE

RIRSNCHICKENJOE Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2009
    Quote:Is that why my sweet Chicken Joe crows everytime he sees me?? LOL He crows all day long!!! I love it..its so cute... especially at 6:30 am!!

On another note.. a good friend told me, country chickens crow around 6am...city chickens crow around 8. [​IMG] LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by