Stop smoking support thread...

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by howfunkyisurchicken, Jan 30, 2013.

1. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I've decided to give up my cigarettes :/ I'm tired of feeling tired and not being able to breath (and smell, and taste, and sleep). Every time I light up now, my only thought is of how absolutely disgusting the cig I'm about to smoke tastes and smells. I've also been having more frequent headaches and....acne :oops: I never had acne as a teen, and I didn't smoke then, so I'm guessing its another side effect of smoking (totally embarrassing). I've got a job interview soon at a hospital, which obviously doesn't allow smoking anywhere on the premises. If you're an employee there and are caught smoking on the property they write you up and fine you. The money I spend on them each year is RIDICULOUS (my cigs are almost $5 a pack, 1 pack a day= almost $35 a week, and that can be doubled since my DH is a smoker too). Its time for me to quit, for good this time. My last attempt lasted 2 weeks before I caved and bought another pack, I don't want to do that again. So, anyone else out there who's trying to give them up wanna jump on for a little BYC support group? Anyone out there who has quit, can you offer some words of wisdom and encouragement?
    Any help I can get with this will be GREATLY appreciated :)
    Nikki

2. americana-lover

americana-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Michigan
    I wish my mom would stop smoking! Im glad your taking control and quitting! Good for you! [​IMG]

3. howfunkyisurchicken

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Thanks for the kind words :highfive: Nikki

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I just found your thread now. Haven't checked in this section for awhile. My DH and I are trying to quit. He's doing MUCH better than I am and it's driving me crazy [​IMG] It's much easier for some people than others and I'm one of the difficult ones. We bought electronic cigarettes and I must say they are much better than that horrible gum and mouth spray I used before, but they don't really take the cravings away. They take the edge off though. I want to see if they have others available that will work better for me. But in a pinch, like when you are at work, they help a lot! I think I'll cut back, way back, before switching to them full time.

5. howfunkyisurchicken

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Hey, thanks.for hopping on. I'm having a hard time too :/
    I'm pretty short tempered these days and it seems like everyone is just trying to avoid me at this point (can't say I blame them, I don't want to be around me either :oops: ). During my last attempt at quitting, I bought one of those new fangled electronic cigarettes. I wasn't impressed, they just made me want a real smoke more. At the moment I'm (sort of) satisfying my craving with lollipops. When I want a cigarette I eat a Dum Dum or brush my teeth, for some reason that helps too. My husband isn't ready to quit so the first thing that happens when he gets home is I steal a cig :( But, I suppose a few a day rather than an entire pack is making progress. It doesn't help that pretty much everyone in my family smokes (mom, dad, brother, EVEN my grandparents). Everytime I go to visit someone they're all "you wanna cigarette?" Uh NO! I'm trying to quit :barnie
    Good luck to you!
    Nikki

6. Spookwriter

Spookwriter Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Ohio
    It's been four whole days without a cigarette for me.

They're laying right there om my desk...pack and half,
    with the lighter, ash tray...

I may smoke tomorrow. But not this day.

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I'm at 2 weeks with no smokes. I have the ecig, and because I smoked menthols seems to helping a bit. I am also using the patch, and ready for step two, but they were $40 at Walgreens, $16 at Target. So, Target tomorrow morning.

8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Debi and Spook, you guys are doing so well! Much, much better than me at the moment. My son gave me a few grey hairs yesterday by falling about 10 feet off the top of the slide at the playground. I didn't see it happen, DH told me afterwards, but I was in such a spin last night. I slipped up big time. He's not hurt, amazingly, but I'm still a bit shaken. I'll have to start (stop?) again.

Debi: how does the patches work for you? I haven't tried them yet.

9. I dont smoke, but i can provide support! every time you want to smoke, grab a cracker or something (keep some on hand) and nibble it till the wanting goes away. also, you dont have to stop cold turkey :)

10. TacomaFarms

TacomaFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2012
    Tacoma, WA
    Nikki, I'm in! [​IMG]

I smoked my last cigarette yesterday! Instead of stopping at the store on the way home, which I almost did out of habit, I plugged in the good ole e-cig. I've only had to use it once so far today, and normally I'd be on my 2nd, almost 3rd, smoke. If you get an urge you should try the e-cigs, it helps with the oral fixation and gives some nicotine to kill the craving. No smell, no aftertaste. I'm not promoting the product, just the idea, or you can get a straw, but my dentist told me that's not good for my teeth.

Also, this is the worst time of year for me to quit, so this is a major challenge. [​IMG] I'll be checking back regularly.

Good luck everyone! [​IMG]
    Andrea

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by