Stop Smoking Thread.......

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by iluvmychicks, Oct 18, 2009.

1. iluvmychicks

iluvmychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2007
    Indiana
    Just curious if anyone out there would like to start some type of a support group to stop smoking. I would really like to quit, it's really hard and I've tried many different things but no luck. I thought maybe if I was accountable for my smoking then maybe I could quit. It would be nice to talk to other people that feel the same way I do and share the rough way to go when you do stop. Possibly I could get some ideas of what others have done to quit besides just "cold turkey" that is just plain torture.

Thanks~!

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    There was a thread around a few months ago.

I gave up smoking just about 6 months ago. [​IMG] With the aid of Electronic Cigies (I have a 901) and nicotine liquid.
    My last smoke was on APril 26th! [​IMG]

I tried everything over the years, from patch to gum to hypnosis and nothing worked for me, the hypnosis worked for my hubby, that was 10 years ago.

Good luck!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  3. iluvmychicks

iluvmychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2007
    Indiana
    Awww thanks for you reply. Dang, wish I could have got involved. I really need to quit!!
    BIG congratualtions to you quitting, that's fantastic!! Tell me more about this cig you quit with:)

Shari

4. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I quit cold turkey almost 5 years ago. I was preg with my youngest. I also made me have more nausea. But sometimes, to this day, a little tiny thought comes to my head, thinking, right now would be a good time for one. Just for a second. Then it's gone. I won't ever smoke again.

My DH quit with me. It took him a couple months. But it really was the best thing that we could have EVER done. The smell is REALLY gross to us now. We talk about how we hope that that's not how we smelt and stuff like that. But it this way, my mother is the only one that smokes now. And when my kids come back from her house, wwe have to wash EVERY THING. Even the clothing that was clean, still in the bag. It just smells that bad to us.

But really. The only way you will stop smoking, it if you really want to. You have to REALLY want it. Just tell yourself the reason you want to quit.....whatever you reason is.....and keep telling yourself that. If it's for YOUR health. Great! If it's for your kids. Even better. Just keep telling your self that reason over and over. It WILL help.

I truely wish you the best of luck. A tip my DH used was suck on jolly ranchers whenever you have an urge. [​IMG]

P.s. If you ever need someone to talk to about this....just PM me. I'll talk to you about it.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  5. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:The e-cig is a battery operated device, basically you add the nicotine "juice" to the cartridge, and then attach the battery and atomizer, which heats up the juice in the cartridge and you suck and inhale like a cigarette - you ex-hale and it looks like smoke is coming out but its really water vapor. Its not really a quitting device, but it has worked for a lot of people.
    It has no smell, and none of the dangerous chemicals found in cigarettes.

There are forums around that are devoted just to the cigs.

I bought some of my supplies from internet stores, like ALTSMOKE.COM and True Vapor and Totally Wicked etc...

There are lots of different types of e-cigs, so which ever floats your boat really, they have super size big ones where the battery will last all day, or some that look like a real cigarette etc..

Look around and get a good idea on them before you pick one, they can be expensive, I think a starter kit for the DSE901 (which I have) runs around $50-$60

6. mjdtexan

mjdtexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    I stopped smoking ciggs at the first of this year. I cant believe its been almost a year.

7. 19Dawn76

19Dawn76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Toadsuck, AR
    I quit in March but I had to use Chantix AND buprofin. I still fight the urge sometimes but it does get easier. I really can't stand the smell of smoke now. I went to my MIL house adn I could smell smoke in my hair and on my clothes when we left and she didn't even smoke while we were there. We showered as soon as we got home and then I could smell our clothes in the hamper so I had to start a load that night. I could not believe when I smoked I couldn't smell that. YUCK!!

8. nyice

nyice Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    LI, New York
    I quit in Feb. of this year by using Chantix. It cost me $140 for the month (I only did a month of the 3 month program) and stopped right away. I will warn anyone , the dreams are INTENSE and I was only getting 2-3 hours sleep at a time. The cravings still sneek up on me at random times, but I have been able to make it pass after a few minutes. I now hate walking through the cloud of smoke before entering a building, it is weird how that happens (and sometimes I swear I can smell a cigarette in the car in front of me while on the highway)

I will admit now, it was probably the best decision I made, it was starting to get hard to breath and I was whistling when I slept.

9. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    Have just posted on the thread I started this year in the hope that you can have lots of support from the quitters...good luck and hang on in there.... [​IMG]

10. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    i had 3 teeth pulled and got dry socket from it in 2 of them because i couldn't wait 2 days to not smoke. [​IMG] well lets just say that i've been paying for that one and haven't touched one since. my jaw is killing me due to an impaction and going to the dentist to have everything cleaned and re medicated and regaused every 2-4 days is not peachy at all. that was my biggest motive for quiteing right then. nothing i have ever felt pain with is as bad as what i'm going through with my jaw right now and meds r not even touching it it has been 2 weeks of pure pain, can't eat or sleep for nothing and it's all my fault cause i was smokeing when i was told not too and didn't get teeth pulled when i should have. [​IMG] my other reason which is most important is i don't know how we r going to afford christmas this year and i have 5 kid's. we smoke between us 2-3 packs a day so quiting saves us alot every mth we could use for the kid's to get things for them for christmas. i want my kid's to have a good christmas and for dh and i to have better health. i want to go sledrideing this year with my kid's without coughing my guts out from being a smoker and killing my asthma. [​IMG]

i quit last time for 2mths but me being stupid stopped takeing my Chantix to early and was around 2 chain smokers i gave in after hubby caved and days later when the craveings were to horrible.[​IMG] that was around last new years. however i'm bound and deturmined to quit this time.[​IMG] i'm takeing my Chantix again and it has been 6 days now i think i haven't had any. i didn't have the craveings this time or mood swings so this time around is way easier but i've been hitting the depressed mode from it. hubby has been very suportive and he has quit again also same day but he cheats with chewing which is just as bad. [​IMG] i have not cheated yet or had the urge to so i'm really proud of myself for being stronger this time. [​IMG] i've tried patches, mints, gum, buprofin, candy and others nothing has worked as good as the chantix has. i've smoked from age 9 to now and i'm 32 and i have tried many times to quit. i know for everyone is different but if i had to reccomend one, the only one i would reccomend would be chantix or that with buprofin together for hard core smokers. i think as long as i keep takeing them and i have a good support team to help me also i'll do really good this time and hopefully will be rid of them for good.[​IMG]

i'm only on day 6 free of them but i'll gladly walk this road to better health with ya anytime or anyone else for that matter. if u need someone to talk to pm or email me i'm always here and we can walk this road together. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by