Stop telling me that chickens SMELL !

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Toxic Chicken, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Toxic Chicken

Toxic Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2011
    Long Island
    Omg I need people to stop telling those I live with how bad chickens smell. I'm getting my first chicks in 2 months, and some people, who I don't think ever even owned chickens, seem hell bent on stoping it. Dorks. [​IMG]

2. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    They don't smell..lol Yeah, maybe if you neglect to clean up their poo, but no..At least mine don't smell. :) Have fun with your chicks!!

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    No, chickens don't smell. That's why they can eat some of the stuff that they eat.

Now as far as stinking - yeah, they can stink like all bejeezus if you don't clean them frquently enough. After all, poop is poop.

4. S.L.Swope

S.L.Swope Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    San Antonio
    I had same issue especially frommy husband who was anti chicken but tired of fighting about it and gave in.
    I've had them 6 weeks and only time they smelled and it was the coop not them was when it rained and the pine shavings and poop got wet. Fixed that problem with a tarp for when it rains

5. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Quote:x2

Chicken poop in the morning is especially smelly.

They smell less than the oldies next door [​IMG]

6. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    Wet food smells reaallly bad. Chickens don't smell.

7. rirbrahma

rirbrahma Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    hawaii
    I HATE when people tell me that. The only reason why it stank because of a wet run... I fixed it, okay!?! Lol

8. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    Some chickens poop so much, they do tend to smell. Meaties.

9. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I had to move my chicks outside at 2mo due to the poop smell lingering. Shoot,the guinea pig cage stinks and I clean that daily! Every thing smells if poo is lingering. Clean,nuetralize odors,and it's all good!

10. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    It is true that when chickens are raised outside and you keep their area and them clean, the odor is almost little to none. But fail to keep those things clean and Whheeeewww Yeah the will be Malodorous, as far as chickens kept in the house I think the folks doing it are used it so they don't smell it, but yes regardless of cleaning frequency it does smell pretty bad indoors. Like with all animals clean is health.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by