Stop the broodiness!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by juliawitt, Jun 8, 2011.

1. juliawitt

juliawitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    Help!!! My year old buff orp has been broody for 3 weeks!! I have to pull her out of the nest box to get her to eat! My husband lifted her today and she is just skinny. I'm afraid she may starve herself to death. Can I break the broody cycle? Suggestions needed.

2. chickenlover96

chickenlover96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    there is no way f breaking this unless you let her hatch her eggs

3. smokeykk

smokeykk Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    That is completley wrong chickenlover 96. julia, you could try to put her in a cage where air can get under her bottom, it usually helps to break them. Then again she should probably come out of it soon.

4. Cackling Hen

Cackling Hen Just Scratching Around

Apr 21, 2009
    Port Angeles Wa
    I have read lots of ways to break a broody in wire crate for few days ,make her sit on ice, dunk her bumm in cold water do a search lots of info will come up Good luck

5. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    Have you tried putting ice cubes under her? Maybe you could lock her out of the coop during the day. If all else fails you could put her in a wire cage where she doesn't have anywhere to nest/brood. Or you could give her a chick or two [​IMG]

6. juliawitt

juliawitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    How do I give her a chick or two?? Won't she kill them? Should I place her in the segregation area and then sneak them in at night? Suggestions please....

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    If you want chicks, go to the feed store and get some DAY old chicks. When it is dark, lift her up and slip them under her. Listen for her to cluck to them, that's a good sign if she does.

8. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    I let mine sit in the nesting box, no eggs, but take them out a couple times a day and put them in the run so they will eat and drink. They stay out for awhile and then head back to the nesting box. We pick up all the eggs, not hatching anything. Mine are all bantams and maybe not as grouchy as some broodies, and easy to handle. I take them out and give them a little special attention/treats and wouldn't dream of dunking them in a bucket of water or putting ice under them, but yes, they are pets.

My little Cochin frizzle, Esmerelda, is broody and this week has decided to move from one box to another, wherever she can find some eggs. Last week she just sat in an empty box.

deb g

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by