Stop the pecking order?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by uglyduck, Dec 12, 2010.

1. uglyduck

uglyduck New Egg

Dec 11, 2010
    I have 9 chickens of various breeds that all get along well except for the smallest
    chicken (a sultan) that is picked on anytime she tries to join the others.
    It is only about 3 of the chickens of the flock that want to outcast her. Is their any way
    that I can get her accepted into the flock?

2. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Your best bet is to remove the three bullies, and wait until things get back to normal, maybe a week, and then re-introduce the three bullies, one by one. If picking starts, remove the bully and try a different one.

3. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    There will always be a pecking order and at one time or another one will always be on the bottom of that order! It just takes time and patience and they will work it out. Your best bet when adding to your flock and your worried about a pecking order is to add several at one time, that way they don't just pick on one. I've done this and it worked out nicely for my flock and now everyone get's along and they know thier places.

4. NajmoNests

NajmoNests Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2010
    E. Central, MN
    blob a dab of vaseline on the pecked spot. Chickens won't want to get their beaks in it a 2nd time. Works for me, so far. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by