Stop the Torture

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by xIndigoSkyx, Jan 25, 2012.

1. xIndigoSkyx

xIndigoSkyx Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    St.Albert, Alberta
    Im a strong believer in stopping animals cruelty so when I saw how Foie Gras was made and it made me sick. Then I kept on looking and found some links about chickens and I'm even more appalled. People are arrested when they do that to dogs, cats and other animals so why not Chickens, Ducks and Geese? Do you know how Foie Gras is made?  By force-feeding. Via a process called gavage, the birds have a pipe shoved down their gullets several times a day through which blenderized corn is pumped. It gets the job done—within 18 weeks of gavage a typical goose will weigh six times what he or she weighed when this all began and his/her liver is ready to be removed and turned into the delicacy we can’t get enough of.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I have heard of this and it makes me very sick to think of the torture these animals go through, I have heard that some chefs in fancy restaurants have stopped serving it because of what the animals go through.

3. kikidee

kikidee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    San Clemente
    I saw a video about it. The following weekend I went to a french restaurant and they had it. I made sure to tell my family what it was and none of them chose it [​IMG]

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I think the saddest part is most people don't know by what means it comes to the restaurant, It needs to be put out there where the public can see just what the animal has to go through to give them the meal they are eating.

5. ChickChickChicky

ChickChickChicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2011
    Greater Kansas City, MO
    Why does it seem that the most disgusting stuff is also supposed to be the most hoighty-toity???? Foie gras, caviar, escargot, some of the cheeses, etc.... they can KEEP all that stuff.... I like simple things and like to be able to identify what I'm eating without the thought of it making me want to puke.

6. xIndigoSkyx

xIndigoSkyx Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    St.Albert, Alberta
    It trying to be all PETA on BYC but I was just thinking it might be an interesting subject to go on.

7. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    I have to admit, I have never heard of it. Thanks for the education. No Foie Gras for me. [​IMG]

8. mrpekinduck

mrpekinduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Ducky Land!
    I just read articles that is terrible! [​IMG]

9. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    It's a banned food in quite a few states.

10. QuackerJackFarms

QuackerJackFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    I've never heard of it, and I'm afraid to google it. I might get nightmares. What is it? (Sugar coat it for me... I can't handle gruesome very well..)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by