STOPPED LAYING, 8mos old hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 2txmedics, Nov 6, 2009.

1. 2txmedics

2txmedics Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    My Ma's girls had started to lay and were Doing good, then all of a sudden Im not getting ANY EGGS AT ALL!!! My entire flocks are like this so you are talking about and when I say all my flocks, I mean:

My Buff coop/run 8 hens
    My Delawares 5 hens
    My Ee's 9 hens
    My Australorps 10 hens

Thats alot of hens not laying!!! Been now over 1mo...no molting going on...nobody sick...any ideas?

2. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

How old are your hens?

3. 2txmedics

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    sorry forgot to put that in, they are less than 1yr old...8-mos to 11mos

4. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't know what triggers molting. I've had them molt from 14 mos old to 18 mos old. Most of mine started molting last week. Egg production dropped about 2 weeks before I noticed the missing feathers. Their combs got a little pale also. If you know their feed and water are not contaminated and there are no lice....consider worms if they free range. Check for poopy butts or foul smelling breath (URI) upper respiratory infection... Are they being stressed by predators stalking around?
    Let's hope their are just getting ready to molt. [​IMG]

5. 2txmedics

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    Well she said they have gone through there molting...I do know she keeps them in a coop/run...each set has there own, and they are very secured...gives water 3-4 times a day...she cleans waterers out and puts fresh..lol, she says she gets bored.

we are lost as to why her's arent laying!...mine on the other hand...are laying like crazy...we live 2hrs away from each other. I dont do anything different than she does.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by