Stopped laying and just sits on her nest

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Hawaiian Chick, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Hawaiian Chick

Hawaiian Chick New Egg

Oct 26, 2014
    A stray chicken adopted us about 6 months ago. After hanging around our place for about a month, she started laying an egg daily on my husband's work bench. We didn't know a thing about chickens but went online and started learning. We bought her some feed and gave her some straw and she made a nest. For several months she was very active, free ranging all over our 5 acres, returning once a day to her nest to lay. About 2 weeks ago, she stopped laying and stays on her nest 24/7 except once a day for only about 15 minutes she gets off, eats like she's starving, drinks water, and then returns to her nest. She has no other obvious symptoms of illness, except that her feces are green. Is she sick?

2. Sounds like she's broody to me. Does she look all flattened out on the nest?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  3. Hawaiian Chick

Hawaiian Chick New Egg

Oct 26, 2014
    Yes. What does broody mean?

4. She wants to hatch eggs and raise chicks. If she doesn't have fertile eggs under her, she'll stay broody. I don't know if a hen that's been broody for 2 weeks can be broken... If she does have fertile eggs under her, then there'll be chicks in one more week[​IMG]

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    If there aren't any roosters around, her eggs will be infertile and will not hatch despite her best attention. If you could purchase some fertile eggs and swap out hers for new ones, she could hatch them for you, and feel fulfilled at the same time.

6. Hawaiian Chick

Hawaiian Chick New Egg

Oct 26, 2014
    Thank you. Your replies are very helpful. I think I understand what's going on now and I will find a solution. Just glad she's not sick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by