1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Stopped laying at 1 year.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chelsitbdx, Oct 12, 2016.

1. chelsitbdx

chelsitbdx Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2015
    South Louisiana
    Is that normal? I have a Rhode Island Red that began laying promptly at 20 weeks old. Great layer. Like clockwork, when she made a year old we haven't seen 1 egg since. This is about 6 months now and I'm not sure what to do. No signs of parasites. Heavy, healthy hen.

2. Braxton Brigade

Braxton Brigade Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2015
    Braxton, Ms
    Molt or lice. That's what I think of first off.

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    What do you feed? Treats? If she free ranges, she may have taken to laying in hidden spots.

4. chelsitbdx

Aug 10, 2015
    South Louisiana
    They free range on and off, so no they aren't hidden. I kept them in the chicken yard for weeks just to watch her. This has been going on for such a while. I set up a deer cam for weeks. Nothing from her. So strange. No mites, either.
    They are fed Nutrina country feeds and i keep calcium readily available. They get dried meal worms maybe twice a week.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
  5. chelsitbdx

Aug 10, 2015
    South Louisiana
    Any other guesses?

6. Braxton Brigade

Sep 2, 2015
    Braxton, Ms
    What breeds are they?

7. Braxton Brigade

Sep 2, 2015
    Braxton, Ms
    Is this only the one RIR doing this?

8. chelsitbdx

Aug 10, 2015
    South Louisiana
    Yes, everyone else is great.

9. Braxton Brigade

Sep 2, 2015
    Braxton, Ms
    Almost any illness can cause a bird to lay less.. however not laying at all suggests a issue within the reproductive tract of your RIR hen.

I am leaning towards Lymphoid Leukosis or Colibacillosis within the reproductive tract, I will put some links for you to research both of them.
    Egg drop and fatty liver syndrome could also cause symptoms similar to your girl.

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/poultry/neoplasms/lymphoid_leukosis_in_poultry.html
    The "diagnosis" portion will offer the most insight on there.

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/3378/colibacillosis-in-layers-an-overview/
    Look at #4 on there, it mentions it being within the reproductive tract.

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    ......and some birds are just 'lemons'.
    Could be a myriad of things....bad genetics, infection that shut down ovary but didn't affect overall health of bird, some other 'disease'.
    You may never know, unless you slaughter her for meat and see what's what inside...maybe not even then.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by