Stopped laying...but wondering for how long

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by McGobs, Oct 11, 2012.

1. McGobs

McGobs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2012
    This is our first year with chickens...so theres had to be a learning curve. We had 4 barred rock that were reguarly laying every to every-other day.

I didn't want to do it...cause I knew it was going to mess up their laying cycles. But after having the girls in the coop for a couple months, I realized I needed a poop board. So...I put one in, and in the process I had to move the nest boxes to a new location in the coop.

I got one egg the day after the big remodel(on the floor where the nestboxes WERE)...and nothing since then. Its been almost 2 weeks. Are they ever gonna start laying again?

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Yes, but it's also near or molt where are you and are they old enough for seasonal moult?

3. amillecay

amillecay Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2011
    Do you keep the oyster shell on the side or in the food? Because I tell people very often that they need to put it in with the food otherwise many times the chickens don't get it and right when they mix it in with the food it solves their problem a few days later..

4. McGobs

Jun 13, 2012
    they are all over 30 weeks...maybe 2 of them are just over. Being in Maine...the temp change might have a bit to do with it as well. As for the oyster shell...its always been a free choice thing. Its right next to the feed. They all use it...I've seen them. How often...I don't know.

5. amillecay

Dec 29, 2011
    Okay, I had mine on the side and I saw them using it but I don't think it was often enough, I suggest mixing it in with the food just to see what happens..

6. Lescas5795

Lescas5795 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2012
    Georgia
    That is what my Leghorns have done. I put another nesting box in their coop 2 weeks ago and have only had one egg sense then. I mean excuse me, I was only trying to do something good don't punish me. They are very picky. If I add another hen they stop. They get used to her and start laying again. I decided to take her out they stop laying!!! I know there is a pecking order but don't be so poopy!!! LOL.

7. McGobs

Jun 13, 2012
    if I mix the oyster shell in with their feed...will that bother the younger birds? I have 6 production reds that are not laying age yet and they all share the same feed trough.

8. amillecay

Dec 29, 2011
    Personally I would think it would maybe someone else can answer this, there are several people viewing :)

9. mickey328

mickey328 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    They don't need extra calcium if they aren't laying in general. Rather than mixing it in, it's usually best to offer it separately. They have great instincts as to what their bodies need and they'll take as much as they require. We keep grit and oyster shell in separate containers and just make sure they're topped off...the girls take care of the rest :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by