1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Stopped laying eggs

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by danial, Aug 26, 2015.

1. danial

danial New Egg

Nov 22, 2014
    Menifee
    So my friend has six chickens they laid about five eggs a day now they lay maybe one. No change in food or water the only change I can think of is the temperature. He lives in Meifee California. And it has gone from the high 70s to the high 90s.

2. Chickenchick11

Chickenchick11 Carpe Diem Premium Member

How old are they? What breed(s) are they?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  3. danial

danial New Egg

Nov 22, 2014
    Menifee
    Just under one year old. Rhode Island red.

4. danial

danial New Egg

Nov 22, 2014
    Menifee
    And there's some kind of ground squirrel varmint that keeps digging underneath the side of the coop and getting inside. I don't think he is taking the eggs though.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I wouldn't be surprised that he is taking the eggs. Either that or some other egg thief. Do your hens use the nest boxes or just free range and drop them anywhere? Could some of your hens be broody and have a hidden nest?

6. chickens r life

chickens r life Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2015
    The Golden State
    I raised all my coops up about a half a foot off the ground for that reason.

[​IMG]

Before we fixed this coop up it looked like a huge piece of garbage and to make matters worse, rats would best under it. After it sat on the ground waiting to be used for a about 30 years, we raised it with a bobcat, put blocks under it, some new nesting boxes, a lil' paint and it's as good as new!!!

7. danial

danial New Egg

Nov 22, 2014
    Menifee
    Yes they do use the nesting boxes there's about six of them. The boxes are off the ground about a foot and a half. They also nest under the ramp sometimes. Forgot to mention he also has two white ducks that he bought to lay eggs. The building is about 10 x 10 sits on the ground it's just the dirt ground with straw/hay. With a 1 x 1' hole to outside pen about 10 x 20 fenced in. There is one egg and one of the nest I'm going to leave it in there for a few days and see if it disappears. If it doesn't disappear maybe they just don't feel like laying eggs. Think I will go to animal control asked to borrow a trap for that varmint and then catch it and relocate it.

8. danial

danial New Egg

Nov 22, 2014
    Menifee
    I miss having fresh eggs every morning.

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

10. danial

danial New Egg

Nov 22, 2014
    Menifee
    Thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by