stopped laying eggs!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by tlcchickenmama, Aug 20, 2014.

1. tlcchickenmama

tlcchickenmama New Egg

May 13, 2014
    Have two hens, one seems to have gone "broody" and barely leaves the coop all day. all puffed up and mad when she does. My other hen seems so lonely. We have gone from two eggs per day to one every three days! They have only been laying for about two months...is it because of the heat? we live in FL and August is brutal...Also, anything I can do to remedy the broodiness??

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    There is a nice article in the Learning Center about broodys and how you can discourage them if you want to https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/encouraging-or-discouraging-broodiness-in-your-hens I like using a separate cage like what they call a broody breaker, it usually works really well. I usually just use a wire dog crate, size doesn't really matter, the bottom wire spacing is usually around 1x4"... you want it really uncomfortable for her to stand/sit on. I put a couple of perches in there and hang small food/water dishes on the sides so they can't stand or sit in them. Put the crate out in the open, I prefer to put them in the middle of the barn aisle or coop so there is a lot of activity and light... you want the hen to be bothered. They don't like to walk on the wire so they spend pretty much all the time on the perches, that works pretty well for most of them. cold baths may also help, and I've never tried it, but some people have mentioned putting a small fan under them to cool them off even more.
    The heat shouldn't have anything to do with her becoming broody, it is hormonal, the one hen that is still laying may have slowed down because of the heat, any sort of stress will affect laying... and depending on what breed they are? some breeds just are much better consistent layers than others.

3. tlcchickenmama

tlcchickenmama New Egg

May 13, 2014
    Thank you so much for the response. i realized afterward that I had posted it under the incorrect forum. i will try the crate idea. The other hen is an orpington and is great so far! No signs of broodiness.
    Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by