Stopped laying in her usual spot - now its just random locations

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lori925, Oct 4, 2013.

1. lori925

lori925 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2013
    Jackson, Maine
    We have three hens that have been pretty consistent on where they lay their eggs. We have converted a stall in the barn into a hen house. They are the only occupants of the barn. In their stall, there are a bunch of hay bales at different heights to give them multiple corners and different heights. There are also multiple roosting options. They have four nesting boxes, each has a golfball in it. One of the girls always lays in a nesting box - which one changes from day to day, but always in the box. The other two were laying in the same spot which is a nest area in the corner of their house. One lays first thing in the morning, the other late morning so they are not ever trying to lay at the same time. This week, the early morning girl has stopped laying in the corner and is laying in random locations. First, it was on the other side of the stall next to a door. The next day, it was on a hay bale behind a roosting bar. Today, in the middle of the floor. I just want to make sure this is not a symptom of a problem. Is this normal? Thank you.

2. cackleberrycam

cackleberrycam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2013
    Yes! It is normal. Chickens like to lay in their own spot in the yard somtimes.
    If you do find more eggs in the yard though, do the egg float test on them to make sure they are safe to eat.
    Somtimes they do it becaus there are not enough nesting boxes.
    Good luck![​IMG]

3. micah O

micah O Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2013
    at the computer.
    Totaly agree.

4. lori925

lori925 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2013
    Jackson, Maine
    Thanks all - she stopped laying on the floor and odd locations. Now she just seems to change it up by picking different nesting boxes. We have four nesting boxes and 2 non-box nesting areas (corner locations with bedding) and only three girls so they have many options.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by