Newbie322

Songster
6 Years
Jul 19, 2015
Hopatcong NJ
Need some input.
I have 7 Chickens
3-Buff Orpingtons (about 3yrs old now)
4-Polish Frizzles-(just over a year old now)
Up until about 3 or so weeks ago I was getting a decent amount of eggs, then all of a sudden I noticed a drastic decrease then now not one egg in the last week. Its like they have completely stopped laying. I even put a trail cam inside the nesting box to see if like a snake or a human was taking but nothing i could see. Ive ruled out that they are eating their own eggs cause I do not find find any shell remnenets . The surroundings have not changed . No new chickens etc. No predatrors are attacking etc. I have noticed some feathers but not sure if its enough to say they are molting. I spoke to friend of mine who seems to be having the same issue. We life in NWNJ and It has been extremley hot sometimes with the heat index hitting the tripple digits. Reading several articles it could be anumber of things . Overall they seem healthy their combs are bright red, but what I was wondering is that maybe its the last batch of feed I got. The only place around me is Tractor Supply And I get the Dumor layer Feed and whats funny Is that my friend seemed to having the same issue at the same time he had to get feed from his local tractor supply casue his regular feed store was out of his normal feed. So Im wondering maybe Tractor Supply had a bad batch of feed is that possible Thoughts ????

I' m not a chicken person but my Call Ducks stopped laying the end of July when it got horrifically hot here and they molted. I thought I saw the chicken people say that chickens stop when it gets super hot or they molt.
Thanks,
That is what Im thinking. Im just trying to remember if last summer was this bad and If I had a egg issue last summer as well.

Heat can cause laying disruptions, and molting usually stops laying entirely. Your 3 year old hens should be starting to molt or close to it, so I wouldn't be surprised if you don't get eggs from them for the rest of the year at this point.

Back
Top Bottom