1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Stopped Laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nick97, Feb 3, 2015.

1. nick97

nick97 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2014
    So my only hen stopped laying after two eggs and I don't know why? She's on regular scratch/feed. could it be cause she's not laying pellets? Predators aren't a problem but rather my dog did eat one egg so they now get locked up at night.

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    If she's a new layer, which it sounds like she is, this is very normal. She's still getting into the swing of things and it'll take her a bit to get on a regular laying schedule.

1 person likes this.
  3. nick97

Feb 20, 2014
    Oh and when should I switch to layer pellets? And yes she's a first timer. Its was so awesome seeing a small brown egg in her nesting box.

4. JadedPhoenix

JadedPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    Switch now. Ideally, it is nice to try to change over the food a couple of weeks before you expect eggs. Give her time. What breed is she? Not every breed lays regularly, even after maturing.

5. nick97

Feb 20, 2014
    Well looky here! After tilling the rows for my garden I turned to see a nest in the middle of my cactus. At first I thought it were snake eggs but saw my hen run out. That explains why I haven't seen her lately as much.
    1.) Now I do have two roos and she has been sitting on them. So does that mean chicks may be coming soon?

2.) There were a total of 13 eggs as of yesterday

[​IMG]

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Is this nest in a place where you are assured that any predators can't get at her? If so, and she's been sitting on the eggs at night (Has she been showing up at the coop to roost at night?) they may hatch for you. This is what I would do, if I was able to determine that she has been on them 24 hours/day for a while: Sneak a couple of eggs out of the nest the next time she's off it. Take them into the house, to a dark room, perhaps a closet. There, you can candle them to see if they're developing. If they are, fine. Return them to the nest. If you don't see any development, you can wait a week, and try again. Either way, mark the eggs you've candled with a Y(for yes) No(for no) or ? (not sure). Before candling, do a few thread searches to see how to candle, and familiarize yourself with embryo development so you'll know what you're looking at.

7. nick97

Feb 20, 2014
    Well predators I'm not too sure but it sure is a thorny cactus and I can't get into it nor my dogs. We don't have a opossum problem nor raccoon so the only thing would be rats but there hasn't been any missing. No I check last night and she was on the eggs and not with the two other roos, roosting. Plus she occasionally comes during the day to play out then back to the nest. And yes I will
    Read up on candling

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I'd toss those eggs...or cook them up for the chickens and dog...and lock your chooks in the coop for a few days to get them in the habit of laying in the coop nests.

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for 2-3 days can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. They can be confined to coop 24/7 for a few days to a week, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it.

9. nick97

Feb 20, 2014
    Glad I didn't toss the eggs cause as of Saturday there were two baby chicks popping out of momma feathers. Aww I fell in love with them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by