stopped the ampro and now i have a sick pullet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tansyflower, Nov 7, 2013.

1. tansyflower

tansyflower Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2013
    so i made a post yesterday about my chickens having cocci. i had been giving them a continuing dose of ampro since all their poops didnt look firm yet. but it seemed like they were ceacal (sp?) dropping so i switched them over to vitamin water. this morning all my chickens looked fine except one. she is falling asleep standing up, wont keep her eyes open, pale ect. i examined the coop and there was bloody stool again. i now have her quarantined in the basement with dry bedding, a heat light and more ampro water. she is eating and drinking atm. is there anything else i can do for this poor girl and should i switch my other chickens back to ampro? this has been such a wet crappy fall. UGHHH! i am so frustrated right now :(

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    FDA recommendations:
    http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/animaldrugsatfda/details.cfm?dn=013-149
    "Chickens
    Indications: For the treatment of coccidiosis.
    Amount: Administer at the 0.012 percent level in drinking water as soon as coccidiosis is diagnosed and continue for 3 to 5 days (in severe outbreaks, give amprolium at the 0.024 percent level); continue with 0.006 percent amprolium-medicated water for an additional 1 to 2 weeks."

And this link has these instructions:
    http://www.drugs.com/vet/amprol-9-6-solution-can.html
    "Poultry - as Soon As Caecal Coccidiosis Is Diagnosed, Give 0.024% Amprolium In The Drinking Water For 5 To 7 Days. Continue The Treatment With 0.006% Amprolium Medicated Water For An Additional One To Two Weeks. No Other Source Of Drinking Water Should Be Available To The Birds During This Time."

The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for Corid Powder is 1.5 teaspoons
    The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for Corid liquid is 2 teaspoon.

The moderate outbreak dose (.012%) for Corid Powder is 3/4 teaspoon.
    The moderate outbreak dose (.012%) for Corid liquid is 1 teaspoon.

The .006% dose for Corid Powder is 1/3 teaspoon.
    The .006% dose for Corid liquid is 1/2 teaspoon.

More info here:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/818879/updated-corid-and-amprol-amprolium-dosing

-Kathy

3. tansyflower

tansyflower Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2013
    i have given her the the 24% solution....i just hope it works in time :(

4. Cheyen

Cheyen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2013
    Richmond, VA
    Whenever putting a bird on medications such as amprol or corid, you need to keep them on it until they're 100% better. Otherwise they will not build up an immunity and the illness can come back even stronger because it will have built an immunity to the medication. Your chicken is likely not feeling well because she was taken off the amprol too soon. I would recommend separating her from the others and putting them all back on the amprol until you know for sure they're cured. As for the droppings... if you aren't sure if they're cecal or not, better safe than sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by