stopped turning too early!!!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by camchick, Apr 15, 2012.

1. camchick

camchick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2011
    So I think ive accidently stopped turning my eggs a few days early. I kinda forgot to write down what date I put them in my bator and guessed that they would hatch 2 days ago. All the eggs seem to be heavy on one side or the bottom and have a big air pocket in them... Are they unhatchabler?? Lol

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    They will be fine. Eggs can stopped being turned 5 days before a hatch and not do much harm. It is during the early days of the developing embryo that it is important to turn eggs. The embryo needs a constant new supply of food.

Just let your eggs rest and they should hatch in the normal fashion.

3. camchick

camchick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2011
    Twocrows.... As always your advice has been great. I came home from work today to find two lovely chicks running around my incubator! And one more is zipping as I write

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Congratulations!!

5. Gardeningmama

Gardeningmama Chillin' With My Peeps

I know this thread is probably not being viewed, but had to say thank-you for making me feel better. I stopped turning a day early I think. Info is so confusing on line. I kept reading about day 18 lock down, so at the end of day 17 I turned for the last time. I also found out that day 1 starts at the end of 24 hrs. So I think I'm a day or 2 ahead of myself. Finding this gave me renewed hope. Thank-you. I'm going to update on my hatch at the end, just in case someone else blunders and needs encouragement.

6. flewdacoop

flewdacoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2012
    CARLYSS LOUISIANA
    [​IMG]

7. Gardeningmama

Gardeningmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay, EVEN WITH MY MISTAKES, my hatch went awesome!!! I started out with 13 eggs, at day 10 I knew 1 was infertile, and 1 had a blood ring. Down to 11. All went perfectly in my styro bator in spite of the fear struck in me by many horror stories. 10 hatched 1 died before hatch (I knew I should have tried to get it out, but waited too long). So mine was an absolute dream hatch with beautiful babies. Can't wait to do it again!! 1 olive egger, 2 buff orps, 2 buff/black orp mixes, 1 splash maran, and 4 black copper maran. LOTS OF PRAYER!!! Be encouraged.[​IMG]MY FIRST OUT : OLIVE

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by