Stopped up gosling

ducksandgeese

Hatching
May 22, 2015
I need advice on how to help a stopped up gosling. Yesterday she was fine until she ate grass and a little tiny piece of collard greens. She was fine until a couple of minuets later. She started wobbling around and not running up to me, usually if I call her she will run over immediately and start talking. But now she just sits there and does nothing. Her belly is rock hard and is only pooping out water. She falls asleep and looks like she's in pain. I've dealt with a lot of strange things on my own and they've lived but I really need help on this one! She's my baby girl and I love her!

How is the gosling? does she have access to grit? when eating grass or anything other than starter feed they should have access to chicks grit. You say she ate grass was it long? geese don't do well on long grass or tough grasses you might read this over https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments
I had a hen who was impacted from eating hay, I gave her Ducolax capsules [opened] mixed into her feed it got things moving again. Or try some olive oil in her drinking  water and massage her tummy, a nice warm bath may help her poop too. But a vet would be the best advise I can give.

As someone with too much knowledge of how laxatives work, I would not recommend Ducolax for anyone, including humans.

Laxatives like Ducolax are stimulants, which force the intestines to convulse.

Miralax is better. It is not a stimulant. Instead of triggering the bowel's constriction, which is certainly more uncomfortable, if not more harmful, it draws in more water into the intestines and soften up the contents. It is flushed out of the system faster, and is more forgiving with a little overdose. It would be easy to mix into water.

Last edited:
PLEASE HELP !!! I DON' T WANT TO LOOSE HER !!!
How is the gosling? does she have access to grit? when eating grass or anything other than starter feed they should have access to chicks grit. You say she ate grass was it long? geese don't do well on long grass or tough grasses you might read this over https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments
I had a hen who was impacted from eating hay, I gave her Ducolax capsules [opened] mixed into her feed it got things moving again. Or try some olive oil in her drinking water and massage her tummy, a nice warm bath may help her poop too. But a vet would be the best advise I can give.

From my experience the easiest way to get a goose to poop is put it in water. Lol Every night Cas gets a warm bath, and every night as soon as he's in it, he poos. Lol He also "goes" when he gets in his outside pool. I have yet to be able to get a decent picture of him swimming without having to crop the picture to cut out the poop! LOL From reading online, the warm water relaxes the muscles (and the sphincter is a muscle too) just like we humans enjoy a warm soak to soothe our aches.
thumbsup.gif

I personally have taken laxatives twice in my life. Both times, with two different kinds, caused severe painful cramping, bloating, gas...etc. I wouldn't give them to my human children unless ABSOLUTELY necessary because of that, and I wouldn't do so with a critter either unless a vet said to. I'd really say try some gentle massage and a warm soak to see if that gets things moving. Definitely make sure the gosling has grit to help digest the grasses. If that STILL doesn't work, then I'd take her to a vet ASAP.

Last edited:
As someone with too much knowledge of how laxatives work, I would not recommend Ducolax for anyone, including humans.

Laxatives like Ducolax are stimulants, which force the intestines to convulse.

Miralax is better. It is not a stimulant. Instead of triggering the bowel's constriction, which is certainly more uncomfortable, if not more harmful, it draws in more water into the intestines and soften up the contents. It is flushed out of the system faster, and is more forgiving with a little overdose. It would be easy to mix into water.

This is to break up the stuff in the crop for lack of a better word. when I used it on my hen she never got diarrhea it worked in the crop not the intestines. But I think Vet would be best for this lil one if warm water didn't get it pooping.

Last edited:
All if my geese got sick this way last year, two died before could figure it out. I took the last one off of Grass for probably a month, then I let her back on and she was big enough to eat grass and find her own grit in the dirt like they do in the wild.

All if my geese got sick this way last year, two died before could figure it out. I took the last one off of Grass for probably a month, then I let her back on and she was big enough to eat grass and find her own grit in the dirt like they do in the wild.
What did the vet do for Pear when she was like that C?

What did the vet do for Pear when she was like that C?

He gave me some medicine I had to give to her with a dropper, it was EXTREMELY smelly and oily, I bet I still have it. I'll try and find it. And he also advised to give her warm baths twice a day, and sometimes I would give her warm water and massage her crop then tilt her upside down and she would throw up whatever was in her crop. (Grass) it didn't work but once or twice, (the upside down thing) but I was so thankful when it did. You can try that.

Back
Top Bottom