stopping 3 week old baby chicks from smelling

ggarden

Chirping
Feb 2, 2017
Hi,

We are changing the chicks nearly every day, but they are really starting to smell, is there anything that can be done to reduce this?

Thanks very much

unfortunately chickens can smell
sickbyc.gif
chicks spill water and poo a lot even changing it every day there is still going to be an odor.

Currently using pine shavings and its around 3x5ft with 18 chicks

Really needing more space though but not sure what to house them in either until they are off the heat

Can you get an appliance box? What do you have them in now? Luckily, if you are weaning them from heat, they should be off the heat in an other week or two. IMO, chicks at that age should have 2 s.f./chick in the brooder. My chicks are 2.5 weeks old, and I opened up the door from their loft coop to the lower level run yesterday. They are starting to explore the lower level. they can get down, but can't get back up. All day long, I'd hear, "Help! Mommy! I've fallen and can't get back up!!!" They are using heating pad brooders and will be completely weaned off them within a couple of weeks.

Much of the smell in a brooder comes from spilled feed mixing with spilled water. It gets sour very quickly. Chicks on fermented feed do not smell as strong either. Their poo is firmer, and essentially odorless except for those cecal poos.

I currently have them in a large plastic box but as there getting bigger they don't have enough space till I get them in there coop which unfortunately doesn't have power

I have tried sourcing an appliance box without much luck, why else do you think k would be suitable

Thanks

Get large boxes from where ever you can get them, and grab a razor knive, some duct tape, some zip ties, and MacGuyver a newer, bigger, and better brooder. I call my local Sears store, and they connect me to the warehouse. I can drive to the warehouse any time I want, and pick up a single box, or even a whole truck load of boxes which I use under the mulch in my BTE orchard.

Yes, call around to furniture stores and you will quickly have a wonderful new brooder. I used to put two together and cut a pass-through into the common wall. I would cut out big windows in the side and cover them with plastic to let lots of light in. You can also cover them with window screening and have wonderful ventilation to avoid heat buildup. A door cut into the side gives you side access and friendlier chicks.

See my article linked below on outdoor brooding to see photos of an appliance box two bedroom condo brooder.

Or you could just move your chicks into their coop and finish brooder there.

Back
Top Bottom