Stopping a Broody Hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by YahMez, Aug 17, 2010.

1. YahMez

YahMez New Egg

Aug 17, 2010
    Hello All! New member here - Long time visitor,

Somewhat new to chicken ownership but have done tons of reading and research. :) We have 3 ten month old hens, A Rhode Island Red, a Delaware, and a Silver Laced Wyandotte. Strictly for egg production and consumption of table scraps [​IMG]

I'm having a problem with our Delaware, she has recently become very broody. Barely taking any time to eat or drink.

So far we have taken steps to kick her out of the nest box and into the run as much as possible. (7 or 8x a day) She is quite strong willed and this has barely made a difference.

Just looking for a few suggestions; I have read a few places to dunk an especially broody hen into a bucket of cool water once or twice a day. I assume this has something to do with lowering their body temperature... should I give this a try?

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated :-D

Thanks in advance,
    ~ YahMez

2. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

You've taken all the steps I would except one... close the door to the coop so she can't get in... usually several hours of being shut out works.

btw [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  3. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    It is best to make her uncomfortable - that is why you wet her bottom. I put mine on a concrete floor with no bedding and give her food and water in there too. It takes a few days of isolation but it works.

4. YahMez

YahMez New Egg

Aug 17, 2010
    Thanks for the input ... I went ahead and got her nice and wet and closed the coop door.

Naturally she is the most vexatious of our flock [​IMG]

I'll keep you updated, lets see how it goes. Fingers Crossed!

Thanks Again!!!!

~YahMez

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by