Stopping aggressive behavior early

tiapet

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 30, 2013
Ocean View, Hawaii
So I'm completely new to chickens. I have 2 black ausrtolorps and 4 Wyandottes that are now 6 weeks old. One of the black ones has been attacking me every time I put my hand in with them. It is really starting to hurt and get extremely annoying. All the others are friendly and sweet. How do I change this behavior? Can you punish a chicken? My daughter would never forgive me if I ate her ;)

SobbaChickens

Songster
6 Years
Apr 24, 2013
Kansas
lol I'm not sure, squirt her with a water bottle? Flick her on the beak? My mom use to squirt my brother with water when he'd bug her lol I do it to my cats when they get in trouble

Katie

tiapet

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 30, 2013
Ocean View, Hawaii
Got some great advice by asking around. If you don't want to fight your chicken every time, just assert your dominance in a way they understand and don't take as a stand off. Roosters push hens to the ground to show dominance. I did this once after she grabbed me hard and held her there gently for a few seconds. Then I let her up and gave her some cuddles. She hasn't pecked at me since. She's just as sweet as the rest now and everyone seems to have mellowed a bit :) SOOOO happy!!!

Haunted55

Songster
7 Years
Feb 15, 2012
Central Maine
Got some great advice by asking around. If you don't want to fight your chicken every time, just assert your dominance in a way they understand and don't take as a stand off. Roosters push hens to the ground to show dominance. I did this once after she grabbed me hard and held her there gently for a few seconds. Then I let her up and gave her some cuddles. She hasn't pecked at me since. She's just as sweet as the rest now and everyone seems to have mellowed a bit
smile.png
SOOOO happy!!!
This will work most of the time and I recommend it. Sometimes you will run into a very stubborn roo or even a hen and will need to continue this treatment until they really do learn who is boss. A spray bottle of water will work as well but be very careful of not getting water into their ears. Not cool...it can cause trouble with infections.

There is a great thread on BYC, and I believe it may be under the stickys, that tell you all of the do's and don'ts. I wish I had read it when I first started...so many things I really didn't know.

SobbaChickens

Songster
6 Years
Apr 24, 2013
Kansas
Got some great advice by asking around. If you don't want to fight your chicken every time, just assert your dominance in a way they understand and don't take as a stand off. Roosters push hens to the ground to show dominance. I did this once after she grabbed me hard and held her there gently for a few seconds. Then I let her up and gave her some cuddles. She hasn't pecked at me since. She's just as sweet as the rest now and everyone seems to have mellowed a bit
smile.png
SOOOO happy!!!

I noticed one of mine was being a butt yesterday so I'm glad you updated us with what is working for you, I will give it a shot

Katie

dadschicks

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 29, 2013
Los Gatos, California
Thanks. I too have one nasty hen. My other three are sweet. I will try exerting some dominance over her and if doesn't work will try the water bottle trick. I hope this works cause I was thinking of getting rid of her.

Top Bottom