Stopping broody hen nesting outside.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jessandtom, Mar 12, 2017.

1. jessandtom

jessandtom New Egg

Oct 18, 2016
    We have a hen which we think may be broody and she's been hiding behind our shed, but I'm worried that she's going to pick her spot and then stay outside and not return to the coop. They free range but come in at night. We have no way of protecting them from foxes.

So my question is, will she come in at night or will we have to force her in? Is there are way of making her nest somewhere we deem safe?

Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  2. I Love My Chkns

I Love My Chkns Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Usually when I want a broody hen to nest in a specific place I leave a wooden egg there. It usually works. Good-Luck[​IMG]

3. peopleRanimals2

peopleRanimals2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    Do you want her to hatch eggs, or do you just want to break the broodiness? You should check to make sure she really is broody, and that it's not another problem such as an injury. If she really is broody, she probably won't come in at night.

4. peopleRanimals2

peopleRanimals2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    This is a great way to get her to nest somewhere safe if you are just going to wait it out. If you don't have more than one nesting box, or you don't have a good place for her to brood, you might want to look into stopping her from being broody. Even though I usually wouldn't do this, (It seems kind of mean, :/ ) sometimes you just can't afford to wait it out. Best of luck, I hope you find a good solution!
    -M

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

Do you have a run too or just the free range option?

Hopefully your coop(and/or run) is big enough for all the bird to stay confined for a few days to a week.

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for 3-4 days (or longer) can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop 24/7 for a few days to a week, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by