Stopping egg song??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jeevesrules, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Jeevesrules

Jeevesrules Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Otley, Leeds, England
    I have a 1 1/2 year old welsummer hen who wont stop doing what I think is egg song every morning starting at 6:30 ish and stopping when she lays. The only thing that seems to stop Her us when I go and stand there in the run until she starts laying. Is there anything I can do to stop her??

2. Jeevesrules

May 5, 2011
    Otley, Leeds, England
    Anyone??

3. Heathero617

Heathero617 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Mosheim
    Why would you want to stop it?

4. Jeevesrules

May 5, 2011
    Otley, Leeds, England
    because it wakes me and the neighbours up in the morning. [​IMG]

5. Tartannik

Tartannik Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Wet Argyll, Scotland
    Am afraid if you have animals you have to deal with the good and the bad. Stick some cotton wool in your ears!!

6. Heathero617

Heathero617 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Mosheim
    Quote:Can you move their pen further from your bedroom window? Chickens DO wake early, thats why all those "cleche's" are about waking with the chickens, and getting up with the roosters and blah blah blah. I dunno..i love to hear my roosters singing to me early in the morning, I wish i could let them in and out on their own free will like i did my last flock when "Elvis" would sit right under my bedroom window and sing to me in the morning. But then again, I'm an early riser anyhow. I'm ready to hear what the egg song sounds like,> any day now ladies!!!!!!!< But seriously, I would say if shes that loud, and you KNOW she wakes the neighbors >they've told you or complained< maybe it's a sign?

Goldfish aren't noisy and wont bother you in the morning.

7. babigyrl22

babigyrl22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Caledonia
    Mine do that too. I expained to my neighbors what it was and why they were doing it. They thought it was pretty cool. So now when they hear it their kids all run around excited becuase they know an egg is comming. [​IMG]

8. Jeevesrules

May 5, 2011
    Otley, Leeds, England
    I'm not really bothered about hearing her in the morning, but I'm not sure about my neighbours. I'm going away for 3 weeks, so i will find out afterwards. [​IMG] To be honest i quite like the noise aswell, it's just strange that she never did it before last week, and now its every morning!!!

9. weeders n feeders

weeders n feeders Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Charleston,SC
    Usually when we try to fight nature we loose so it's best to pull on the big girl boots and deal. Everyone will most likely get used to it and one day will wake up all outta sorts because the chickens didn't make their usual noise in the early morn. I know I'm more likely to wake up now when the chickens don't cluck and crow than when they do. It the neighbors do complain maybe sharing a few eggs with them will appease them.

10. babigyrl22

babigyrl22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Caledonia
    I agree. Sharing eggs is a great way to get in good with the nieghbors. All mine get free eggs from time to time. Only one of my neighbors claims to hear my girls. My other neighbors....I don't think they know what they are hearing. lol. It's all nature to them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by