1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Storage Bin for housing

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 72elizabeth, Oct 31, 2010.

1. 72elizabeth

72elizabeth Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern FL
    I live in No. Fl and have an opened pen for my ducks. It has a roof on it for the rain. The ducks free range all day and are put into their pen at night for saftey. I want to protect them from the winter winds, (winter is fairly mild here). Do you think a 50 gal Storage Bin WITHOUT the lid, placed on it's side, will work as a wind breaker? They would be able to go in and out when ever they want. I would put an indoor-outdoor carpet so they don't slip and also put hay in it. It would be easy to remove for the warmer weather. The bin is close to 4ft long and almost 3ft high and about 18' deep. I would get 2 of them. The plastic would be very easy to keep clean. Do you think this would work?

2. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

I think it will work fine. You can also build an A-frame out of plywood or solid shipping pallets.
    [​IMG]
    Call around and see what large chains have them for free. I use 3-4 pallets per frame. One will be on the bottom inside to hold the hay off the ground, and one will be used at a back wall. All you need to buy is a few 2x2's so you can screw into to it to hold it together.
    [​IMG]
    This one has a floor but no back wall yet. It hasn't been windy or cold enough to put it in full use. The ducks were just playing it.
    [​IMG]
    This one is without floor used to keep the food dry. I use it in snow and rain.
    I hope this gives you some ideas, but the bins are a good idea.

3. 72elizabeth

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern FL
    Hi, thank you so much for your advise. Your set up looks great, and very easy too. I'll check around. Thanks

4. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

I get mine for free with items I import, and I just use them or they would sit around doing nothing. [​IMG]
    Funny enough they actually look pretty good and natural.
    You can build the same with cheap plywood from the hardware store. Mount them with hinges on top, and you can easily store them away. I bet your ducks will love them in summer too. It gives them the option of getting out of the sun and gives them a cross breeze if you leave them open I like have in the pictures. Your children can actually make them pretty with paintings on the outside.

5. 72elizabeth

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern FL
    Hi, no kids painting. I ran away from home. Left 4 kids and 14 grandchildren. Now I'm just down to 3 horses, 5 cats, 1 dog, 9 ducks and 10 guinea fowl. Life is easy now. Your idea is good and will keep their feed out of the sun and or rain. They cool off in their pool, which has a tarp over it and then sleep under the rose bushes. They have a really tough life. Just got finished putting sand in the pen, hoping it will cut down on the work. I've read all the info on the sand and everyone swears by it. I've got my fingers crossed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by