Storage ideas

Jan 17, 2021
Looking for storage ideas for my chicken stuff! Where do you keep their food, straw, DE, basically anything chicken related?

right now I have a storage bin that clips shut for their food in the garage but ideally wish it was closer. Same with the straw...where/how do you keep everything?

Do you have space under your roost? I have a fenced in area under my poop board in the coop that I use for storage (when it's not being used for brooding). It takes away from your floor space but, if you have a big enough coop, it's convenient.

My coop is in part of a large shed, so I can store most everything right in there.
Metal garbage can for the feed, DIY 'bale bag' for straw and hay, top of nests is outside coop area and lots of stuff gets stored on top of that.
All 'meds' get stored inside my house in a cool,dark, dry place.

Recently we built a new coop and added a storage section inside the building. I've always used a metal trash can to store feed and kept oyster shells, scratch grains, meal worms, etc in their original containers. I've been shocked at how dusty everything gets (yes, I know, chickens are dusty), so have a collection of large cat-litter buckets and started storing all the extras in those buckets. They stack very well, too! I'd like to get a medicine cabinet or old kitchen cabinet to mount to the wall to store medical supplies at some point. It's been really nice having all the chicken supplies right inside the coop though.

My coop has extra/unneeded nest boxes. I've blocked them off and use them for storage of smaller things...The extra zip ties, grit and oyster shell are in large repurposed mayo jars. Meds are in a repurposed coffee can. I also have a 2.5 gallon bucket that stores feed. All are in the nest boxes used for storage.

In the garage, I have the big bags of feed, oyster shell and grit.

Right now, I have all my chicken stuff except any meds in secure bins in the mud room. I get everything together for the morning opening and carry it out.

In the summer, the coop gets moved down by the garden, and I have everything in the garden shed.

If I add on to the coop, it will be to make room to store more chickens. :gig

Medical stuff - in the house
Large items (bags/metal trash cans of feed, bedding etc) - in garage
Stuff I use daily (feeder in a metal trash can, poop scooper and poop buckets) - under a covered shelter about 10' from the run

Back
Top Bottom