Storage

protodon

Songster
10 Years
Mar 3, 2009
Nottingham,PA
I just wanted to get some ideas on how everyone stores their processed birds. I recently processed a chicken but kept it refrigerated as I used it over 2 or 3 days. Now I have some quail and I figured I would cook some now but wasn't sure how I should store the rest in the freezer to prevent freezer burn. Maybe placed in individual sandwich bags then in a larger bag? I can see how maybe if I had a vacuum sealer that would be good for quail or cut up chicken but for a whole chicken how would I store that? Wrap it in plastic wrap then bag it? This is all new to me because usually this stuff is wrapped in foam and plastic from the supermarket haha

You can always get some of that white butcher paper, it's sort of shiny on one side, and wrap them in it. it works good and helps keep freezer burn away. If you're still bothered by it, then take the white wrapped meat and put it into the ziplock freezer bags. That should do the trick for you! You can get both the paper and the bags at Wal-Mart.

Quote:
I've found it somewhat tough to wrap a whole chicken in butcher paper, especially without using a half roll per bird! It is better than a ziplock bag for freshness though.

I did saran wrap the bird as tightly as I can then used butcher paper. It does seem to take alot of paper.
sad.png
Where do you get the 'big' clear bags for turkeys? I'm thinking of calling the local butcher shop. Any ideas?

Quote:
Ditto. I leave some whole and vacuum seal some. If it took you 2-3 days to eat you should packagae them as halves. Either in pieces or we cut the bird right in half down the breast bone with our kitchen shears works great and nice for baking or grilling either way.

Fleet Farm & Sams Club have the cheapest bags around here. Fleet Farm is a off brand and Sams sells Food Saver

Oh and this year we smoked four whole birds and two halves and they turned out great.

Last edited:
I use a vacuum sealer for the cut parts (thighs, legs etc.) and use with the vacuum sealer the large ziploc freezer bags for the roasters. On another note, in the spring, I am hoping to be able to smoke some.

Henry'schickens :

I did saran wrap the bird as tightly as I can then used butcher paper. It does seem to take alot of paper.
sad.png
Where do you get the 'big' clear bags for turkeys? I'm thinking of calling the local butcher shop. Any ideas?

I don't want to 'cut up' a turkey though. I'm sure that awhile back someone posted on a thread where they got the big bags for the turkeys. I just cant find the thread, even searching. I know it is buried in here on this forum somewhere.
wink.png
I got 3 weeks to get everything in order.​

Back
Top Bottom