Storage

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by protodon, Sep 1, 2009.

1. protodon

protodon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Nottingham,PA
    I just wanted to get some ideas on how everyone stores their processed birds. I recently processed a chicken but kept it refrigerated as I used it over 2 or 3 days. Now I have some quail and I figured I would cook some now but wasn't sure how I should store the rest in the freezer to prevent freezer burn. Maybe placed in individual sandwich bags then in a larger bag? I can see how maybe if I had a vacuum sealer that would be good for quail or cut up chicken but for a whole chicken how would I store that? Wrap it in plastic wrap then bag it? This is all new to me because usually this stuff is wrapped in foam and plastic from the supermarket haha

2. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

Get some shrink bags from Cornerstone Farm's website. They work great!

3. protodon

protodon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Nottingham,PA
    wow thanks these look great!

4. Crickett

Crickett Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Heart of Dixie
    You can always get some of that white butcher paper, it's sort of shiny on one side, and wrap them in it. it works good and helps keep freezer burn away. If you're still bothered by it, then take the white wrapped meat and put it into the ziplock freezer bags. That should do the trick for you! You can get both the paper and the bags at Wal-Mart.

5. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I've found it somewhat tough to wrap a whole chicken in butcher paper, especially without using a half roll per bird! It is better than a ziplock bag for freshness though.

6. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    I did saran wrap the bird as tightly as I can then used butcher paper. It does seem to take alot of paper.[​IMG] Where do you get the 'big' clear bags for turkeys? I'm thinking of calling the local butcher shop. Any ideas?

7. antlers

antlers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2008
    East Cent Minnesota
    I cut to parts all my birds adn vacuum seal em all. Just easier for me that way .

8. fasbendera

fasbendera Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Midwest
    Quote:Ditto. I leave some whole and vacuum seal some. If it took you 2-3 days to eat you should packagae them as halves. Either in pieces or we cut the bird right in half down the breast bone with our kitchen shears works great and nice for baking or grilling either way.

Fleet Farm & Sams Club have the cheapest bags around here. Fleet Farm is a off brand and Sams sells Food Saver

Oh and this year we smoked four whole birds and two halves and they turned out great.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  9. quercus21

quercus21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Tivoli, NY
    I use a vacuum sealer for the cut parts (thighs, legs etc.) and use with the vacuum sealer the large ziploc freezer bags for the roasters. On another note, in the spring, I am hoping to be able to smoke some.

10. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    Henry'schickens :

I did saran wrap the bird as tightly as I can then used butcher paper. It does seem to take alot of paper.[​IMG] Where do you get the 'big' clear bags for turkeys? I'm thinking of calling the local butcher shop. Any ideas?

I don't want to 'cut up' a turkey though. I'm sure that awhile back someone posted on a thread where they got the big bags for the turkeys. I just cant find the thread, even searching. I know it is buried in here on this forum somewhere. [​IMG] I got 3 weeks to get everything in order.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by