Store bought brown eggs... vs. mine

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FisherMOM, Oct 21, 2008.

1. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    Out of curiosity, I looked at the brown eggs in the store. Said the birds were cage free. All's I can say is that my Missy's eggs are so much prettier! She is a GSL. Not sure if it is the breed that is the difference, or what, but her eggs are almost prefect everytime. Never a blemish and a beautiful deep reddish brown!

I was so proud of her after I saw these "eggs" in the store!

2. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    They say cage free but who knows for sure.....I know my eggs are good...I looked at those organic eggs in the grocery store and they wanted $3.30 a doz. [​IMG]

3. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Hey fisher! How goes it?!!
    Hooray for homegrown eggs. My RIR's that have been laying for a couple months now have perfect eggs, too!

4. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Cage free can mean anything..... including that the birds are still locked in a large building and don't get to play outdoors.

I agree with you, FisherMOM, our backyard jewels are much better. Personally, I think it is because our backyard ladies are much happier in their existence. I mean, who wouldn't rather go find a juicy bug to eat in a down pour of rain instead of eating the same old-same old indoors all your life! [​IMG]

lovemychix, my SIL in NY pays $4.50 for a dozen organic eggs! And she has to drive 40 minutes (round trip) to get them! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  5. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Cage-free can mean they all live in a barn together for a few hours every day, not that they get outside or eat tasty green treats.

If you bought some of those brown eggs, and cracked one alongside a fresh one of your own, you'd discover the insides of your eggs are even prettier than those store-bought cage-free eggs!

6. FisherMOM

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    [​IMG] Hi ibpboo!!!

Yeah, it must be because they are happy! My Australorp girl is getting ready to lay now too. her comb and wattles have grown this week and gotten red! [​IMG] that will be 4 chicken eggs every day, once she starts laying... and 3 duck eggs a day.

I have started selling my duck eggs.

7. FisherMOM

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    I figured cage free didn't mean much to those of us that have chickens... but to someone else, they will assume it mean that those chickens live the good life.

8. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Have you ever seen the Dirty Jobs show where he is in the turkey barn and there are hundreds, if not thousands in there. They are not in a cage, but they are still wing to wing and barely move around, and then they had to look for and scoop up the dead ones from the middle of the huge flock. That's what I imagine cage free must mean.

9. FisherMOM

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    Quote:no, I never saw that one.. gee.. how awful!
    (and by the way... I love that show) But I almost never watch tv.

10. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    I saw that episode and thought how sad. When we lived in Pa. we always purchased our Thanksgiving turkey from a farm but now we live in Ga. and I cant find a decent place to buy one (I bet it doesnt taste as good from a grocery store). I will kinda have a corner on the fresh egg market in our area, I cant find anyone that sells farm fresh eggs. Cant wait until my girls start to lay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by