Store bought brown eggs? What breed?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Obyli, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Obyli

Obyli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    California Torrance
    What breed of chicken lay brown eggs in our local store? I want to buy some that labled fertile and hatch them. They are golden brown eggs.
    From a random korean market.
    I am currently hatching a dozen of trader joes store bought white eggs. Suprisingly it is 12/12 ferllized but 2 quit during the 2nd day of incubation. Now i have 10/12 on my 6th day and they are during FANTASTIC! And i know they will be white leghorn, i am just wondering what breed will be with brown eggs.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  2. BairleaFarm

BairleaFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    Call the number on the carton and ask. Otherwise wed just be making educated guesses.

3. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

trader joes sales eggs u can hatch??

4. BairleaFarm

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    Quote:alot of stores do. If you search there are a couple threads on it. Neat isnt it thinking you can by eggs at a grocery and hatch them.

5. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

i didnt know that, i thought all store bought eggs were layed non fertile because of how the hens are kept. i ordered all my eggs online, and theres a trader joes not to far from where i live. maybe ill go there and check it out sometime

6. BairleaFarm

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    They will say fertile on the carton.

7. Keara

Keara Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    Vermont
    in our area.... Vermont... we can buy fertile eggs at most farmers markets and many health-food stores.

8. Obyli

Obyli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    California Torrance
    I wish someone could answer my question.....

9. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I'd imagine most likely one of the well known hybrid layers. ISA Brown, Hyline, Shaver, one of those. All pretty much the same kind of bird, just with different names depending on which company they originate from. Different companies developed very similar hybrid layers from the same breeds and just gave them different names.

Edit: But like someone else already said, no way to be sure without either asking in the store or calling the producers of the eggs.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by