Store bought clams; crush shells for hens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by MsMelvin, Nov 17, 2009.

1. MsMelvin

MsMelvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    Or just toss them in the dumpster...

Wondering if we can re-cycle, like oyster shells.

Friends showed up this week-end with a bushel of clams to share. Now I have many shells as you can imagine...can we do anything with them? [​IMG]

2. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I'm no expert, but i would be hard pressed not to try it. [​IMG]

I'd boil 'em and dry 'em (or some of them) and give it a shot. If they're not too thick (i'm having a hard time imagining the right thickness this early in the morning) you might be able to stick them in the blender and pulverize 'em.

I've never tried it, i'm just sayin', i'm a sucker for some free resources. [​IMG]

3. trilyn

trilyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    Quote:I hear ya about the free resources! I'm just concerned for the poor blender, maybe an old pillowcase and a hammer might work better? Just a thought! I've got a bag of oyster shell here and looking at it there's some smaller pieces and a whole lot of "flour". Maybe boiling then before they dry, blend them up into smaller pieces, let that drain/dry and then try smashing it again. I don't know, good luck with your endeavor!!

4. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Scrub them clean or they'll stink when the residue begins to rot. Dry, then crush with a hammer.

.....Alan.

5. MsMelvin

MsMelvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    Okay; I'm going to try it with a few of them...I have them drying outside in a burlap bag. I'll boil a few this morning and see if the girls are even remotely interested before processing the rest.

Thank you all for your thoughts on this...I'll let you know how it goes. [​IMG]

...now; where'd I leave that hammer...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by