1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Store bought coop and having issues with hens!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kaileenfoster, May 5, 2016.

1. kaileenfoster

kaileenfoster Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2016
    I bought a precision pet farm house coop from tractor supply and added four established flock of hens, the coop has these perches low to the ground/pan that slides out.. I've had these hens in it for a week now and they all sleep in the dang nearing boxes on top of each other! I'm beyond frustrated because they aren't even using the perches! They are pooping all over each other and in the nesting boxes, they know to go in the coop but then they just pile on top of each other [​IMG][​IMG] and ovebobly gotten one egg this week and I had to throw it out because it had poo all over it! Ugh! I try to move them on the perches every single night this week and all they do is freak out and go back to the boxes, can anyone give me advice!? I feel like I want to give up already on chicken keeping, I got a batch a chicks a month ago and had to give them away because they where ALL roosters.. Please help! [​IMG]

2. kaileenfoster

Apr 18, 2016
    I guess my question is should I just leave them alone and stop trying to move them on the perches? I hope they just figure out to just stay on the perches, they are 2 years old and I got them from someone who's had them since they where chicks.. Will it just be somthing they will get used to? I can't build them another coop at the moment.. I'm just at a loss.. Them sleeping in the nesting boxes is horrible.. I don't know if they did that at their other home, but it seems like that's a habit of theirs.

3. littleohioflock

littleohioflock New Egg

Aug 2, 2015
    It looks like that coop is pretty small for 4 hens. Chickens fly up to their roosts to sleep at night - no space at all for flying in a coop that small. Even if the roost is lower to the ground, I don't know if they would actually be able to jump up onto it. My chickens prefer a wider roosting bar - mine is about 2 inches wide and flat, which I think is more comfortable for them.

You could always try blocking the nest boxes off at night, but overall I think that coop is just kind of cramped for 4 large hens. Good luck!

4. kaileenfoster

Apr 18, 2016
    It says it fits up to 6 hens but I think that's way too crowded.. There is actually plenty of space for the 4 of them, they just want to pile on top of each other!

5. kaileenfoster

Apr 18, 2016
    How many do you think will be comfortable to live in there? I don't know chicken math lol, and they get to free range too

6. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Your biggest problem is you bought adult birds. Chickens don't like change and can take a while to adapt to a new home. Your coop is pretty tight, especially if they weren't kept in a smaller coop. They are frightened, that's why they are clumping together. If that photo is of your coop it's out in the open and can feel unsafe to chickens. As they get more comfortable they will need a lot more outside area to get some exercise and do some pecking and scratching.

7. kaileenfoster

Apr 18, 2016
    No this isn't an actual picture of my coop, they have an enclosed run area and access to my large fenced in yard this is just a picture of what kind of coop I got.. What do you think I should do? Should I rehome them and get chicks? I'm not building a coop.. I'm stuck with this one lol should I just keep two or three? [​IMG]

8. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Give them time, in a few weeks they will start to feel more comfortable and will start roosting again. Nest box sleeping is often a sign of fear. I would either keep moving them to the roosts at dusk or block the nests during the night. Glad you have more room for them. They just need time to adjust.

9. kaileenfoster

Apr 18, 2016
    Hank you for your response.. I'm going to take the pan out and see if it helps any.. I spent $300 on this coop so I can't build them a coop for a while.. I'm really disappointed In this coop, it's so flemsy and I didn't think far into the coop, how does the company that builds these coops expect chickens to sit on the perces with the pan underneath? The rooster bars a are just sitting on the pan.. Ughh, what a bad decision to get this coop!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by