Store bought coops

wolfie7000

Hatching
Nov 29, 2016
Hi, I'm new to this. Has anyone had any luck with any of the store bought coops? Was hoping something would work, but the reviews are terrible.

I'm hoping to keep the coop to under $400

Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. Unfortunately, companies producing coops almost always over-estimate the number of birds that they are able to house. Maybe type "cheap coops" in the search box and see what pops up. The Coops section is also a great inspiration if you are handy and DIY.

Good luck
CT

welcome-byc.gif

Instead of paying for a pre-built coop, you might try hiring a local handyman (or teen) to put up a coop for you. I think for $400 or less you could have a nice one! Some members have even had good luck using things like old plastic playhouses or things they've found through Craigslist. You could take a look around a Habitat for Humanity (or similar) place to see if you can find materials to re-purpose as a coop.

Good luck!

Troll craigslist for items you can repurpose, and ask around town for pallets. If you get creative, you can build a very nice, large coop, for next to nothing. And it will be better quality than anything you could purchase.

Sometimes you can buy a nice shed and trick it out into being a very good coop. Please do check out the coops section for ideas.

Hello there, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! I am so glad you joined us, I do hope you will make yourself at home here. Enjoy BYC!

Greetings from Kansas, Wolfe, and :welcome! Pleased you joined our community! My beef with coops like you mentioned, in additional to the size over-estimation, is the flimsy construction in general. Just my two cents worth. A raccoon with a bad temper can often muscle his way in. Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC! :)

Back
Top Bottom