Store bought coops

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by wolfie7000, Nov 29, 2016.

1. wolfie7000

wolfie7000 New Egg

Nov 29, 2016
    Hi, I'm new to this. Has anyone had any luck with any of the store bought coops? Was hoping something would work, but the reviews are terrible.

I'm hoping to keep the coop to under $400

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. Unfortunately, companies producing coops almost always over-estimate the number of birds that they are able to house. Maybe type "cheap coops" in the search box and see what pops up. The Coops section is also a great inspiration if you are handy and DIY.

Good luck
    CT

3. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Instead of paying for a pre-built coop, you might try hiring a local handyman (or teen) to put up a coop for you. I think for $400 or less you could have a nice one! Some members have even had good luck using things like old plastic playhouses or things they've found through Craigslist. You could take a look around a Habitat for Humanity (or similar) place to see if you can find materials to re-purpose as a coop.

Good luck!

NancyNurseCxMama likes this.
  4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Troll craigslist for items you can repurpose, and ask around town for pallets. If you get creative, you can build a very nice, large coop, for next to nothing. And it will be better quality than anything you could purchase.

5. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Hi and [​IMG] I am glad you joined us! Yes, most store bought coops are cheap and not well made. But MyPetChicken does carry some very well made coops. But the downfall is they are rather expensive. Here is the link if you would like to look at them:
    http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Chicken-Coops-c3.aspx
    I hope you enjoy BYC and find what you are looking for, best wishes! [​IMG]

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sometimes you can buy a nice shed and trick it out into being a very good coop. Please do check out the coops section for ideas.

8. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! I am so glad you joined us, I do hope you will make yourself at home here. Enjoy BYC!

9. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Wolfe, and :welcome! Pleased you joined our community! My beef with coops like you mentioned, in additional to the size over-estimation, is the flimsy construction in general. Just my two cents worth. A raccoon with a bad temper can often muscle his way in. Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC! :)

1 person likes this.
  10. wolfie7000

wolfie7000 New Egg

Nov 29, 2016
    NancyNurseCxMama and KikisGirls like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by