store bought eggs vs my hens eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tecalli, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Tecalli

Tecalli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    State College, PA
    I got my first egg this Satuday, and have gotten one every day since from my 6mo. barred rock, Ester.
    This morning I decided to have two of Ester's eggs for breakfast, and to give my dog a fried egg too, except his would be a store bought one we still have.
    From reading BYC I knew to expect a yolk color difference, Ester's egg yolks were more orange while the store bought egg yolk was more yellow.
    I also noticed Ester's egg was a lot harder to crack, thicker shell. Also, Ester's egg seemed to have more of a membrane on the inside shell.
    Just wondering why there are these differences between Ester's eggs and the store bought. Is it related to the age of the egg-- Ester's eggs are only a few days old?
    Thanks.

ps- Ester's eggs were the best I've ever tasted!

2. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Age of the egg, age of the bird that layed it, and the feed that the respective hens ate.

.....Alan.

3. jprice2ndlt

jprice2ndlt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Hodges, S.C.
    I agree the longer you let your eggs sit the lighter the yolk will get. They are also hard to shell when you boil them when they are fresh.

4. twentynine

twentynine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Nothing taste as good as something grown, raise or produced yourself.

Yolks are more vivid color because your chicken gets better food.

5. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    In commercial operations, a layer is getting the minimum to lay. Under your care, a hen's getting more than the minimum of everything she needs. Therefore, her body is able to give her eggs more than the minimum... to ensure she has healthy chicks, if fertile. An egg that would hatch a healthy chick means a healthy breakfast! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by