1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Store bought feed ?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Strummer, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Strummer

Strummer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2012
    Edna tx
    What's is the best store bought feed for quail ? I have a&m's

2. eHuman

eHuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2016
    I am able to get "Purina game bird growth and plumage" (from Tractor Supply Company) which is their starter formula. It has 30% protein and I use it for all my birds from day one to culling. I grind it up for the 1st 7 to 10 days.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  3. pkhunter

pkhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2014
    Texas
    I use Bryant 28% game bird krumbles. I think it is only sold here in Texas. It cost about half of what Purina does if you can find it.

4. eHuman

eHuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2016

Purina (starter) 30% is $18 per 50# bag at Tractor Supply Company in Arizona. How much do you pay for Bryant?

5. pkhunter

Mar 2, 2014
    Texas
    The last time I paid $10.80 per 50# bag (28%) but have paid as high as $14. Purina here is $21 per 50#

My TSC doesn't carry purina they have Dumor but im not sure of the price.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  6. Flamingosstock

Flamingosstock Just Hatched

Jun 3, 2016
    Central Florida
    Great question. Have been searching the site to see what everyone else is doing with the high cost of 30% protein.

My first hatch I had problems finding feed. I purchased a small bag of a Dumor brand chick starter with 24% protein. they seemed to be hungry all the time. Around 3 or 4 weeks found 30% game bird by MannaPro.. Only the 50# bag has 30% protein.

Birds seemed to be less hungry.

Second hatch what a deference with the 30% protein. seemed to grow and fill out a little faster.

But the catch MannaPro 50# 30% protein is $26.89 a bag...in Florida at local feed store.(across Town for us) Was purchasing every three weeks.

Our Tractor Supply does not carry the Purina starter... [​IMG]

Did more research. Found Nature wise Meat bird 22% crumble. $14.95 for a 40# bag.

Just put all birds mature and 4 week old's on this feed. will see.

Have a new hatch coming up and will see how they do on the 22% meat bird feed.

Besides the difference in protein here are the others.

MannaPro Nature Wise

Lysine
    1.50%
    Lysine
    1.00%
    Methionne
    0.40%
    Methionne
    0.37%
    Crude Fat
    4.00%
    Crude Fat
    2.5%
    Crude fiber
    5.50%
    Crude Fiber
    6.0%
    Phosphorus
    1.00%
    Phosphorus

0.60%

Beside the protein I wonder about the Crude Fat... any suggestions on how to supplement that? Would ground up eggs be enough and if so how often would you give it to them. [​IMG]

Thank you.

7. Strummer

Mar 29, 2012
    Edna tx
    So they do need the hi protein feed ? I'm feeding the 30% purina now

8. pkhunter

Mar 2, 2014
    Texas
    How much you paying for the purina in Edna?

9. Flamingosstock

Flamingosstock Just Hatched

Jun 3, 2016
    Central Florida
    If you can get the Purina at a decent price I would keep them on it. I forgot to mention 1st hatch were purchased eggs (local not shipped). The second batch were mine. So that could be factored in with my observation.

I just sent in a request for the Purina for our local Tractor supply. Keep others posted on the results.

10. Strummer

Mar 29, 2012
    Edna tx
    I think I'm paying 15 bucks a bag maybe 16 . I also feed it to my peacocks .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by