Store bought grass seed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by btruegs, Aug 13, 2014.

1. btruegs

btruegs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2014
    Spokane WA
    Hello,

My hens love eating the seed off of the grass looking weeds, and i was wondering if I can give them the store bought grass seed? I'm thinking no, but wanted a second opinion.

This is what they eat now, found that it's called rye grass on google pics.

[​IMG]

2. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

IMO WAY, and I mean WAY too expensive...

There is nothing wrong with giving them grass seed in moderation like anything else but grass seed is stupid expensive, there are plenty of other seed mixes they will enjoy just as much that are more economical...

3. btruegs

May 1, 2014
    Spokane WA
    Oh, Ok thanks!

4. Red-Stars-in-RI

Red-Stars-in-RI Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2014
    Rhode Island
    My girls love rye seeds. I found some on the outskirts of a field that had been planted with rye as a cover crop. They had plowed the rye in before it went to seed, but a few on the edge had been missed so I picked the heads and brought 'em home. Wish I'd grabbed more when I saw how quickly they got gobbled up!

5. btruegs

May 1, 2014
    Spokane WA
    Haha yeah that's what I do except it grows in the garden.

6. Red-Stars-in-RI

Red-Stars-in-RI Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2014
    Rhode Island
    I probably looked pretty silly carrying weeds out of a cornfield, but I doubt it's the silliest I've looked for my girls!

7. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Do not give your hens store bought grass seeds. Seeds sold for planting have a coat of mold, mildew, nematode, and insect pesticides applied at the factory and some of these seed coatings will travel to the eggs or the meat and end up in your body.

1 person likes this.
  8. btruegs

May 1, 2014
    Spokane WA
    Wow, i didn't know that. Thanks!

9. ezicash

ezicash Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2014
    Everywhere I read, it says to give your flock clean water everyday. I have a 1 gal water feeder which it takes them a week to go thru. Am I suppose to empty it everyday and give them more so it is fresh daily???

10. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

This is not a solid fact, some seed may be treated others will not be treated, read the label...

As long as the water is 'clean' it's fine, it's when it gets dirty or moldy (mostly) and/or green that issues can arise, but even then most of the time it's acceptable short term and not a death sentence even if it's not the best option...

Using 1 tbsp of unpasteurized unfiltered with mother's apple cider vinegar per gallon will help keep it fresh longer...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by