Store Bought Grit??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ColbertChick, May 19, 2011.

1. ColbertChick

ColbertChick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    Please excuse this if it's a silly question! I've read that my chicks (4 1/2 weeks) should have some grit. They have a 1 lb. bag of grit for $9. I can get a 10 lb bag of playground sand for $2. Is this good enough or should I get the feed store grit? Should I even be giving it to the chicks at this age?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Technically your chicks should have size #2 grit now (according to the bag of the below link sold by my feed store):

http://cherrystonegrit.com/grit_sizes.html

And size #3 after about 7 weeks, which is in a couple of weeks for you (so why buy size #2 unless you have bantams, eh?)
    Chick grit is size #1.

Sand works for tiny chicks but yours are kind of old.

If you are feeding a commercial ration with no treats or grass then they don't need grit. If you are free ranging they can find their own grit. If you are keeping them confined but they have access to the soil and you see some sharp pebbles in there, you are fine, IMO.

If you just have clay for soil and they are confined, if it were me, I'd get them some grit. If you can just find a small bag of chick grit for sale at the feed store that is what I would do, and feed them the larger grit for adults after around 7 weeks.

Here is a nice page:
    http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/faqgrt.htm

Since your chicks are older, you can put a bowl of grit in the run for them (or the coop). Tiny chicks will fill up on grit and it can cause impacted crop since they think it is food. If you notice them eating it too fast you can sprinkle it on the food "like salt."

3. ColbertChick

ColbertChick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    Thank you so much for the info. I feed the little guys (gals) commercial feed but I do sneak a tiny handful of cracked corn in every couple of days for a treat. I won't give them any more until I get them outside where they'll have plenty of grit.[​IMG]

4. ChickensAreSweet

Quote:Cracked corn is a cracked grain and is ok without grit as far as I know. That would be like commercial feed.

I feed a lot of whole grains (see my BYC page if you wish) and thus need grit either in the soil or given to them. Also for green treats and table scraps they should have grit.

5. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Quote:Thanx for this info, cuz I didn't know at what age they could switch over to the larger grit.

Mine free range, so I wasn't too afraid of them not getting enough grit, but I do have chick grit AND poultry grit that I throw out for them on occasion. The poultry grit looks so much larger than the chick grit and I wasn't sure if it was "too big." My youngest being about 9 weeks old now.

[​IMG]

6. ChickensAreSweet

Quote:Thanx for this info, cuz I didn't know at what age they could switch over to the larger grit.

Mine free range, so I wasn't too afraid of them not getting enough grit, but I do have chick grit AND poultry grit that I throw out for them on occasion. The poultry grit looks so much larger than the chick grit and I wasn't sure if it was "too big." My youngest being about 9 weeks old now.

[​IMG]

You are welcome! [​IMG]
    There is a handy table on my grit bag from the feed store that has the ages on it- yours might too. (I don't read bags sometimes is why I mention it.)

7. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    I bought my grit from Manna Pro, but I don't think I've ever noticed anything on the label about the ages.

Anyhow, I saw the link you posted about the grit size, so that was helpful.

Now I know what I have.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by